What gas mileage are we getting on the 21s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sd172

Reaction score
Anyone compared the dash MPG vs pump MPG? On my 18 the trip computer can be up to 2 MPG happy.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently my wife drives like shit lol but I already knew that. We are at 18 mph 50/50 driving

View attachment 255941

I image short trips will tank mileage, even with the new transmissions and DFM (dynamic fuel management).

Also, there is always going to be a speed at which fuel economy will start to drop. At some point wind resistance becomes so great that it takes more engine power to overcome the wind resistance. I'm not sure what speed that would be in the newer vehicles, but it begins to drop off big time at 60 mph on my old school 5.3.

I sure wish I could afford the 2021 though. Unfortunately the fuel savings wouldn't come close to balancing the depreciation.

marczsport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve only got 500 miles on the clock, but I’m averaging 20-21 MPG on hilly central Mass roads; 60/40 Highway/in-town.

Norm 427

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone compared the dash MPG vs pump MPG? On my 18 the trip computer can be up to 2 MPG happy.

My recent 2500 mile highway trip in our '21 5.3L showed the dash MPG is about 0.3 mpg optimistic ... or happy. :) That's closer than other cars I've owned in the last several years.

Thunder22

Reaction score
1600 miles on mine, mostly highway driving as I've been making a lot of NJ<>PA round trips, so a lot of hills involved, and i'm at 17mpg average. I turn off stop/start.

to the poster above who is putting 91 in their Tahoe - the 5.3 is designed for regular/89, you're wasting $$$ by putting 91 in, not to mention the engine does need nor want 91. (if you've got the 6.2, that requires premium/91).

Jsenky

Reaction score
Im averaging less than 15 and thats with 2-180 mile highway rides and i just pulled into disney from atlanta so lets say 450 miles. Im surprised its so low but i do have the at4. But the airbags squat the car at highway speeds.
I do warm up my car everyday for 10 mins before and after work so i believe thats killing me.
I only had about 15.5 mpg on my 2016 tahoe. Same issue with warming up or cooling off the car.

sd172

Reaction score
My mileage on 2018 took a hit with the short PPV air dam, front level and AT tires. When I run E85 I typically see 10-13 mpg at the pump depending on my driving conditions.
I'm also not terribly surprised about your mileage on the AT4, and the only way GM could have significantly improved it (3.0 Duramax) is not offered with this package yet.

Jsenky

Reaction score
My mileage on 2018 took a hit with the short PPV air dam, front level and AT tires. When I run E85 I typically see 10-13 mpg at the pump depending on my driving conditions.
I'm also not terribly surprised about your mileage on the AT4, and the only way GM could have significantly improved it (3.0 Duramax) is not offered with this package yet.

im not terribly surprised either. I only have 2500 miles though. I will gladly take the increase in looks for the slight decrease in mpg. I didnt buy it to be a 20mpg suv anyway. I do get about 20mpg on the highway though per the cars calcs.

sd172

Reaction score
I was getting around 20-21 real highway MPGs with the stock Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires and stock air dam. The inability to park next to the curb, occasional scraping the air dam and constant wondering ‘why does it look like a minivan’ soured the deal.

Jsenky

Reaction score
I was getting around 20-21 real highway MPGs with the stock Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires and stock air dam. The inability to park next to the curb, occasional scraping the air dam and constant wondering ‘why does it look like a minivan’ soured the deal.

my mileage on my tahoe was about 26k on the stock suck tires and then currently 50k on bfg ko2s. That also contributed a little to the lack of mileage also. I have gotten a TON of life on the bfgs. They still have a little left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys