What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still remember when Ford Explorers had those firestone tire issues. got blamed for killing people, I believe it was car and driver at the time rigged up a test that would blow out the front tire at highway speeds in a new Explorer. by the end they showed after testing a few times, they could literally hands off the wheel, blow out the front tire and 70mph, not touch the brakes, just left off the gas, it would pull slightly to that side and slow down with zero drama. all the roll over deaths and crashers were driver error and panic.
EXACTLY......
BUT.....The Firestone tire problem was not the Firestone tire design. Ford lowered the required air pressure to "create" a smoother ride. It was Ford's fault.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still remember when Ford Explorers had those firestone tire issues. got blamed for killing people, I believe it was car and driver at the time rigged up a test that would blow out the front tire at highway speeds in a new Explorer. by the end they showed after testing a few times, they could literally hands off the wheel, blow out the front tire and 70mph, not touch the brakes, just left off the gas, it would pull slightly to that side and slow down with zero drama. all the roll over deaths and crashers were driver error and panic.

I was a tire and lube monkey at a Firestone mechanic shop during that. My coworker and I got to where we could swap all five tires (spare included) in 15 minutes from lift up to lift down. I still don't think the issue was the tire, but Ford's low pressure spec to soften the ride. I believe that very next generation of Explorer had a much improved suspension design including an IRS.

*EDIT* Got distracted with a phone call during my reply and see that @mountie already said it.

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup...
I was a tire and lube monkey at a Firestone mechanic shop during that. My coworker and I got to where we could swap all five tires (spare included) in 15 minutes from lift up to lift down. I still don't think the issue was the the tire, but Ford's low pressure spec to soften the ride. I believe that very next generation of Explorer had a much improved suspension design including an IRS.

*EDIT* Got distracted with a phone call during my reply and see that @mountie already said it.
Lower pressure = higher temperature.
That is a common problem with dually tires ( semi's , etc )..... The inside tire pressure gets forgotten, because the moron doesn't notice.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to remember what Ford wanted you to run for air pressure?

if you ever want to read some crazy tire issue. goodyear G20 I think they are called. from tire for motor homes.. I believe that tire is defective and they have gotten away with it for years.

DeepEmissions

Reaction score
In a moment of not paying attention, backing away from the mailbox on the passenger side of the truck I began my turn too early and badly damaged the RR quarter panel.
I was a mess afterwards because it's really my wife's truck and there wasn't a scratch on it until I did this, felt so bad...
We've ordered paint and I'm going to try and buff it out some and apply some paint to help hide it until we have the extra money to properly fix it.

Attachments

• 20240426_174413.jpg
    20240426_174413.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 5

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score

if you ever want to read some crazy tire issue. goodyear G20 I think they are called. from tire for motor homes.. I believe that tire is defective and they have gotten away with it for years.
Don't know..... But maybe an old OEM factory decal may show? Or a google search for year/model may describe specifics?

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Yup...

Lower pressure = higher temperature.
That is a common problem with dually tires ( semi's , etc )..... The inside tire pressure gets forgotten, because the moron doesn't notice.

Any CDL driver worth his salt has a club and checks his tires every time he stops and during his pre-trip inspection.
Most 1 ton pickup drivers never bother to check the inside tires, though.
It is a combination of the lack of air pressure along with the sidewalls rubbing that causes the tire temp to skyrocket and delaminate.

I've had a CDL for about 35 years now.
Haven't used it for work for decades but I refuse to let it go back to a regular driver license.
Besides, how many people in IT Management have a Class A CDL? ;)

Reaction score

I think it was 26psi

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think it was 26psi

^^This^^

Firestone said that tire on that vehicle should've had at least 30. The next generation Explorer got a wider track width, IRS and 32 PSI recommended pressure. They also got 16" wheels yielding slightly shorter sidewalls.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy