What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inconel is my favorite metal. But I don't know where to buy it from and I don't know if you can tig weld it. I know SpaceX uses it in their SX300 and SX500 alloys for the Raptors. I've also seen it used for Lambo cat delete pipes.

You can TIG weld Inconel with Inconel filler, but to do it by hand requires a lot of practice and patience.

So your titanium exhaust is basically going to be a resume item?

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
It TIG welds similarly to stainless. Different filler rod, of course.
Interesting- good to know

You can TIG weld Inconel with Inconel filler, but to do it by hand requires a lot of practice and patience.

So your titanium exhaust is basically going to be a resume item?
Yes! It will also be cool. Both are advantages that do not impact vehicle performance.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
This is from the McLaren forum
45303fbbc83565854bcab0a70bb3fc2d.png

So Inconel's increased strength would allow for thinner tubing but sourcing the material will be harder. I was planning on buying supplies from Ticon Industries- they specialize in automotive Titanium stuff, filler rod, purge caps, exhaust hangers, etc, they even sell exhaust valves. But I don't know where to source Inconel. Ticon even has a titanium starter pack kit thing that is $20 pie cut section that allows you to get used to the material. :/

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Upon further research- Inconel 625 would be my ideal header material. I hear a lot about header leaks and cracks and fatigue from expansion/contraction- inconel 625 is the most resiliant out of any other possible material to choose for headers that I’ve come across. So ideally for me- Inconel 625 headers (maybe with titanium wrap on them?) into Titanium tubing from Ticon? Maybe a 2.75” Y pipe into 3” tubing.

lowh07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to say that you need to fix your running issue that's killing your cats or stop buying cheap cats, then I glanced over at your avatar and was like "Ooooooohhh... It's that guy."

So, who are you considering for a built trans?

Hah... yeah, I'm sure I'm to blame more than the cats. I've gone through the factory ones and two Magnaflow Y-pipes now in about 6 years. 100-130 probably isn't good for them. It's time to just pull them out. This setup actually costs about the same as the magna y-pipe as well...

Everything I've heard/read makes me think I need to just put in a 4l80, since I'll potentially be at 750+ to the wheels on the spray (after the blower, obviously). That 2.48 first gear might suck, but I'd like to go with 4.10s in the rear, so that should more than make up for it. There's a local guy with a good reputation and reasonable prices, so I'll probably give him a call.

I'd definitely prefer to stick with the 4l60 if possible. Performabuilt has a stage 3 which they say is good for 900 rwhp, and I know they have a pretty good reputation. I know that rating isn't for a Tahoe though... I've reached out to them.

Also considering RPM or FLT

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah... yeah, I'm sure I'm to blame more than the cats. I've gone through the factory ones and two Magnaflow Y-pipes now in about 6 years. 100-130 probably isn't good for them. It's time to just pull them out. This setup actually costs about the same as the magna y-pipe as well...

Everything I've heard/read makes me think I need to just put in a 4l80, since I'll potentially be at 750+ to the wheels on the spray (after the blower, obviously). That 2.48 first gear might suck, but I'd like to go with 4.10s in the rear, so that should more than make up for it. There's a local guy with a good reputation and reasonable prices, so I'll probably give him a call.

I'd definitely prefer to stick with the 4l60 if possible. Performabuilt has a stage 3 which they say is good for 900 rwhp, and I know they have a pretty good reputation. I know that rating isn't for a Tahoe though... I've reached out to them.

Also considering RPM or FLT
I have the Performabuilt stage 3 on my 02 Denali along with an FTI triple disc billet converter. I’m running a Whipple 2.1 blower, Vinci “trucker” cam, and ARH longtubes. I have the NVG249 AWD transfer case so the only way to do the 80 conversion is to find the rare custom adapter that some guy on PT.net machines. I actually blew the Performabuilt after about a year with a full throttle launch, racing a STi off the line. They tried to blame it on excessive crank end play because it looked like the input shaft had been hammered by the converter but I sent that to FTI and they said it hadn’t been hitting the shaft, plus end play was within spec. I think that when they built the original trans, the input shaft had been hammered on by a previous mechanic. Anyway, we never found out why the 60 disintegrated. I think it was just the weight of the truck, the AWD, and the power. They rebuilt it under warranty. If I could do it easier, I’d do the 80 conversion. I’m not going to launch from a stop that hard again, it’s too much risk. I let it roll a bit first.

lowh07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Performabuilt stage 3 on my 02 Denali along with an FTI triple disc billet converter. I’m running a Whipple 2.1 blower, Vinci “trucker” cam, and ARH longtubes. I have the NVG249 AWD transfer case so the only way to do the 80 conversion is to find the rare custom adapter that some guy on PT.net machines. I actually blew the Performabuilt after about a year with a full throttle launch, racing a STi off the line. They tried to blame it on excessive crank end play because it looked like the input shaft had been hammered by the converter but I sent that to FTI and they said it hadn’t been hitting the shaft, plus end play was within spec. I think that when they built the original trans, the input shaft had been hammered on by a previous mechanic. Anyway, we never found out why the 60 disintegrated. I think it was just the weight of the truck, the AWD, and the power. They rebuilt it under warranty. If I could do it easier, I’d do the 80 conversion. I’m not going to launch from a stop that hard again, it’s too much risk. I let it roll a bit first.

They replied and said the Stage 3 might hold, but they'd recommend the black edition... no way I'm spending $5k on a 60, so I'm looking into the 80 conversion now

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from the McLaren forum
45303fbbc83565854bcab0a70bb3fc2d.png

So Inconel's increased strength would allow for thinner tubing but sourcing the material will be harder. I was planning on buying supplies from Ticon Industries- they specialize in automotive Titanium stuff, filler rod, purge caps, exhaust hangers, etc, they even sell exhaust valves. But I don't know where to source Inconel. Ticon even has a titanium starter pack kit thing that is $20 pie cut section that allows you to get used to the material. :/
No affiliation. But a quick Google search turned up this place:

https://burnsstainless.com/blogs/articles-1/inconel

They say they stock Inconel 625, though their site doesn't actually list any specific components. Perhaps you can give them a call and at least see what the cost will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods