What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

radio looks ok, you might need a new controller or lights in the controller display, some of the guys that do the clusters do those also, do the lights change if you smack it?

Yeah it’s not the switch judging from the radio, something is wrong with that display. EBay is the place to go to find a used one for sure. You can find one with worn buttons and then use the stickers to make it look like new.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the wheels off to redo the plastidip and paint the calipers red today.

bua2Ys9_d.jpg

Old plastidip coming off
kkINuA1_d.jpg

It actually did some damage to the lugnut covers when it came off, which was surprising
ozFaZSM_d.jpg

The first time I plastidipped my rims I didn’t take the wheels off the truck. Taking them off and laying them down makes the plasti go on MUCH better as it’s much less likely to run
LVPa6qv_d.jpg

While the rims were drying I took a wire brush to the calipers to get them ready for the caliper paint. I noticed this rotor was looking a little concerning
D5gYwtT_d.jpg
I bought the Tahoe less than 6 months ago and it has brand new tires, so I’ve kind of assumed the brakes and rotors were fairly new as well. This was my first excuse to get the wheels off and actually take a look. The brake pads didn’t look too worn down and I couldn’t feel any sort of gouge in the rotor, but you can see that lighter colored ring on it. I’m going to keep an eye on it, but ultimately the truck brakes just fine without any symptoms of a bad rotor/bad brake pads so I’m not too worried at the moment.

Painting the calipers was actually kind of a pain in the ass since the paint didn’t want to stick to 3 out of the 4. One or two still have some spots the paint wouldn’t fill in properly but they’re out of sight. This is probably the one that turned out the best:
4hZNgMb_d.jpg

I used glossifier on the plastidip this time. It’s kind of hard to get an even coat since you can’t see it going on like the black plasti but overall it didn’t turn out too bad
xSSbu4A_d.jpg

And while in the course of doing all this, I may have discovered the cause of my squeaky suspension:
EigAhih_d.jpg

Looks like my next small project will be replacing this bushing
ypimt2p_d.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bua2Ys9_d.jpg

Old plastidip coming off
kkINuA1_d.jpg

It actually did some damage to the lugnut covers when it came off, which was surprising
ozFaZSM_d.jpg

The first time I plastidipped my rims I didn’t take the wheels off the truck. Taking them off and laying them down makes the plasti go on MUCH better as it’s much less likely to run
LVPa6qv_d.jpg

While the rims were drying I took a wire brush to the calipers to get them ready for the caliper paint
D5gYwtT_d.jpg

Painting them was actually kind of a pain in the ass since the paint didn’t want to stick to 3 out of the 4 calipers. One or two still have some spots the paint wouldn’t fill in but they’re out of sight. This is probably the one that turned out the best:
4hZNgMb_d.jpg

I used glossifier on the plastidip this time. It’s kind of hard to get an even coat since you can’t see it going on like the black plasti but overall it didn’t turn out too bad
xSSbu4A_d.jpg

And while in the course of doing all this, I may have discovered the cause of my squeaky suspension:
EigAhih_d.jpg

ypimt2p_d.jpg
Did you use brake cleaner spray to clean the calipers?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bua2Ys9_d.jpg

Old plastidip coming off
kkINuA1_d.jpg

ozFaZSM_d.jpg

LVPa6qv_d.jpg

While the rims were drying I took a wire brush to the calipers to get them ready for the caliper paint. I noticed this rotor was looking a little concerning
D5gYwtT_d.jpg
I bought the Tahoe less than 6 months ago and it has brand new tires, so I’ve kind of assumed the brakes and rotors were fairly new as well. This was my first excuse to get the wheels off and actually take a look. The brake pads didn’t look too worn down and I couldn’t feel any sort of gouge in the rotor, but you can see that lighter colored ring on it. I’m going to keep an eye on it, but ultimately the truck brakes just fine without any symptoms of a bad rotor/bad brake pads so I’m not too worried at the moment.

Painting the calipers was actually kind of a pain in the ass since the paint didn’t want to stick to 3 out of the 4. One or two still have some spots the paint wouldn’t fill in properly but they’re out of sight. This is probably the one that turned out the best:
4hZNgMb_d.jpg

xSSbu4A_d.jpg

EigAhih_d.jpg

ypimt2p_d.jpg
the end links are less likely to be the squeaky part, the other "D" bushings that hold the sway bar on the frame are the ones that need to be lubed up with some good lithium grease

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Compression test results are in! That number 8 plug is the biggest joke ever.

Compression on drivers side bank was decent. 172 lowest 200 on highest.

Passenger bank was lower only tested front three. Cylinder #4 which my missfire code is for, has compression of 56 pounds. The battery is getting low so I'll be charging that tomorrow and doing a leakdown test. Pull passenger side valve cover and get #4 for TDC on compression stroke, and then pump some air from the compressor into it. If it comes out of the intake or exhaust the compression is leaking thru the valves, and if the air comes out of the crank case then... I suppose that means its gone from bad to worse.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use brake cleaner spray to clean the calipers?

No I didn’t

the end links are less likely to be the squeaky part, the other "D" bushings that hold the sway bar on the frame are the ones that need to be lubed up with some good lithium grease

I didn’t look super closely but there wasn’t anything noticeably wrong with them. Is there something in particular I should look for that’s a giveaway they need to be replaced or lubed?

Did you remove the plastidip under where the lug nuts seat?

The only plastidip that got into that part of the rim was just overspray from the rest of the wheel. It’s hard to tell in the pic but there wasn’t any on the threads for the lug nuts

qcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only plastidip that got into that part of the rim was just overspray from the rest of the wheel. It’s hard to tell in the pic but there wasn’t any on the threads for the lug nuts

For high gloss, try Superwrap spray vinyl. It’s sprays a really nice gloss out of the can. I used it for my wheels and my chrome trim.

Also, brake cleaner is important when painting your calipers. Paint doesn’t stick to greasy surfaces.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure your Genesis already has it's own system sporting the latest features, so CarPlay isn't such a big deal. The little taste I got of it was exciting. As Mark mentioned, it's basically like having your phone mounted on your dash in a full tablet size and Siri could handle pretty much anything I'd want with very little input (read: "distraction") from me. Intuitive control is why I can't migrate from the Apple format. For my antiquated '08, the little things captivate me and they'll continue to for a long time since I rarely drive it.
I have a tendency to totally ignore my phone when driving which probably affects how I feel about CP. And my tiny little 9 minute work commutes don't help. I'm sure if I drove more I'd be all over it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I didn’t

I didn’t look super closely but there wasn’t anything noticeably wrong with them. Is there something in particular I should look for that’s a giveaway they need to be replaced or lubed?

nothing needs to be wrong with them, they will squeak and make weird noises if they are not kept lubricated, they are very easy to do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645