What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hope I can find a real nice used one, it's AWD so it has to be a pretty close match this set only has 9k on them

*maybe I can just put a new one on? not sure how much these have worn so far
i would dump the whole set and get a warranty claim going..

more then likely they are from the same batch.
Why would you risk keeping that same batch if one popped with 9k miles

if you can opt for another brand

Looks Like badyear tire is setup for a recall pretty soon on those
EAGLE LS-2 - SIZE: P275/55R20

your not the only one with sidewall blow outs at 9-10k miles..
you should also be using 10ply LT tires and not 4ply
Passenger tires ..

they start with LT and not P

passanger = Load index
#111, weight limit 2403 pounds
LT load index
#122 weight limit 3307 pounds

well at 5500 pounds for the 4x4 curb weight

6700 with 8x 150 pound people..

extra equipment now at 7000 pounds

now your towing something also

that puts you at 8000-8500 pounds..

oh wait got bumps in the road

that is a extra potential 1500pounds down force from bumps etc.. (jump on a scale and see how high you can get that number!)

now your way over the limit of your tires and risk failure

Wait for it they are not correctly inflated to 44 PSI ..(which is the rated load index)

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of oil, I received the GMC Certified Service coupon flyer card thingy in the mail today from the dealer I bought the Denali from and noticed the oil change coupon. 6 qt oil change package, ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic oil, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection for $49.95. Expires 7/15 and I'm due for a change later this month in about 1k miles. Doesn't seem like a bad price, I've been doing my own for years and costs me about $35-40 with Mobil 1 and filter alone.

That's a great deal. If you can trust them, sitting in a waiting room in the AC would be a whole lot nicer than laying under the truck!

For thirty-two years I've been changing my own oil. Twice in the intervening years, my dear wife had the oil changed for my when I was sick. Both places messed it up, over filling the crankcase. But the writing is on the wall, I'm going to have to start letting someone else do it once our nest is empty; lest my new sons want to help their old and decrepit FIL out!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Passenger tires ..

Brent, it was a road hazard right through the tread and at high speed. The sidewall came apart as he was slowing down and getting off the highway as there was no safe place to immediately pull over.

Ten ply tires are Load Range E. They do make LTs in Load Range D and maybe C and B for the 275-55-20 wheel. Highway tread as the AWD systems don't take kindly to AT tires from what I've read. Regular length trucks like Wes' Denali are 5900-6000 pounds compared with the short Tahoes at around 5500.

Having said that, two of my load range C KO2s have been patched but the leaks were very slow despite the size of the nails.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brent, it was a road hazard right through the tread and at high speed. The sidewall came apart as he was slowing down and getting off the highway as there was no safe place to immediately pull over.

Ten ply tires are Load Range E. They do make LTs in Load Range D and maybe C and B for the 275-55-20 wheel. Highway tread as the AWD systems don't take kindly to AT tires from what I've read. Regular length trucks like Wes' Denali are 5900-6000 pounds compared with the short Tahoes at around 5500.

Having said that, two of my load range C KO2s have been patched but the leaks were very slow despite the size of the nails.
Question. I have an awd Denali. What is it with awd systems not liking all terrain tires?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks Like badyear tire is setup for a recall pretty soon on those
EAGLE LS-2 - SIZE: P275/55R20

Passenger tires ..

passanger = Load index
#111, weight limit 2403 pounds
LT load index
#122 weight limit 3307 pounds

6700 with 8x 150 pound people..

extra equipment now at 7000 pounds

now your towing something also

that puts you at 8000-8500 pounds..

oh wait got bumps in the road

that is a extra potential 1500pounds down force from bumps etc.. (jump on a scale and see how high you can get that number!)

now your way over the limit of your tires and risk failure

Wait for it they are not correctly inflated to 44 PSI ..(which is the rated load index)
wasn't the problem, I had a puncture in the tread, tire deflated and I didn't pull over and stop until some distance later, I ruined the tire, I was driving about 85-90 and didn't realize I had a flat at first.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question. I have an awd Denali. What is it with awd systems not liking all terrain tires?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I have never heard of that, only thing that I am aware of is that they need to be all the same size/type and of equal treadwear otherwise one or more wheels are rotating at a different speed than the others and causes issue's with the differential/viscous coupling, i.e. a wheel may be turning at more or less rotations than another which messes up the awd system over time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a tread depth gauge Wes and see where they're at compared to new.
the place where I bought the tires had a used one, $40 installed out the door, so I went and bought a gauge, I have (2) @9/32, 1@ 8/32, and the used one was 7/32, so I am putting the (2) 9's on the front and the 7/8 on the rear and I should be good to go?