Valve cover gasket write up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m surprised at this maintenance item. I thought it was gonna be way harder than it actually was. The hardest part was the grommets going back on the bolts and it was fairly easy. So as it turns out, the valve covers just came right off once the bolts were off. I literally didn’t have to apply any force at all to take them off. So apparently they were loose and that could have been why they were leaking. The gaskets actually didn’t look bad. But I was already in there so new gaskets went it. Lol. Passenger side was smooth, but I broke a bolt on the driver’s side trying to make sure it was tightened down enough:banghead:. I was so irritated. I spent the late afternoon trying to find a replacement bolt, to no avail. But I gotta try the two other shops first thing in the so hopefully I can put it back together and get it done with. Proud of myself for tackling this one. But pissed because it should have been done already. Lol
The torque spec for those bolts is really low and it’s for a reason. You should not come anywhere near breaking them. Too tight can be as bad as too loose Chase. Keep an eye for leaks and cracks in the aluminum valve covers. 106 in/ lbs is the spec, less than 9 ft lbs.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And of course no where in big bear has the right size bolts to replace them. Stupid ******* big bear. I’m so irritated right now. I had to drive down again to hit stagecoach for the final day, and picked a slightly shorter bolt and slightly longer bolt thats the same diameter, from a Lowe’s, hoping they might do the trick. But I have a feeling they won’t, I maybe stuck driving off the mountain again tomorrow morning to get to a stupid dealership :banghead:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And of course no where in big bear has the right size bolts to replace them. Stupid ******* big bear. I’m so irritated right now. I had to drive down again to hit stagecoach for the final day, and picked a slightly shorter bolt and slightly longer bolt thats the same diameter, from a Lowe’s, hoping they might do the trick. But I have a feeling they won’t, I maybe stuck driving off the mountain again tomorrow morning to get to a stupid dealership :banghead:

No salvage yards around you? As many of these motors that are out there and used in so many projects, surely someone has a few junkers they could pull one from. Maybe try a speed shop to see if they have anything they may be trashing?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those aren’t normal bolts that you can pick up at a hardware store, you need to get them from a dealer or wrecking yard buddy.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No salvage yards around you? As many of these motors that are out there and used in so many projects, surely someone has a few junkers they could pull one from. Maybe try a speed shop to see if they have anything they may be trashing?
Unfortunately the wrecking yards are as close as the dealerships. An hour away at the base of the mountain in the inland empire. And no speed shops up here. Just standard mechanic shops.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Unfortunately the wrecking yards are as close as the dealerships. An hour away at the base of the mountain in the inland empire. And no speed shops up here. Just standard mechanic shops.
I bet a mechanic shop might have a spare laying around--especially if it's a mom n pop shop.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it took half a grunt (or teeth clinch- whichever you do) to break the bolt free when removing it, it'll take 10% less of that same grunt or teeth clinch to restore it to it's proper torque. You'll learn it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645