Valve cover gasket write up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to it Chase. Have a nice trip.
Thanks friend! Unfortunately it’s going to be a bit rough. Lost my Grammy in February and so we are going back for her celebration of life. My emotions about this trip are all over the board right now. But I just gotta do it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks friend! Unfortunately it’s going to be a bit rough. Lost my Grammy in February and so we are going back for her celebration of life. My emotions about this trip are all over the board right now. But I just gotta do it.
Sorry to hear about your Grammy. Make sure to take care of yourself and be careful on the trip, it’s easy to get lost in thought and forget what you’re doing during times like this.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passenger side looks like a lot of trouble with all the extra stuff that needs to be pulled out of the way. I changed the drivers side valve cover on my 09 Tahoe Hybrid right after I bought it a few months back with 195k miles on it. Even with mine being lifted 3.5" the drivers side is open and easily accessible. The reason that I changed mine was that I was not sure if the existing valve cover had ever been swapped to the updated PCV design. I bought an updated one at Advance Auto parts (w/gasket and grommets) for less than 50 bucks. I have attached a couple of pics. Previous owner looks to have neglected the oil change intervals on mine as I do have light sludge buildup. Currently at 204k miles and it is running good and holding good oil pressure. Fingers crossed that it runs to 300k as planned without any significant issues.
IMG_6765.jpg
IMG_6766.jpg
IMG_6767.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up Chris. Chase, just to keep a little pressure off yourself this is a job you can do one st a time. Obviously it’s easier with tools already out but if you run out of time and only do one side, my leaky side is passenger, it’s not a big deal.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write up Chris. Chase, just to keep a little pressure off yourself this is a job you can do one st a time. Obviously it’s easier with tools already out but if you run out of time and only do one side, my leaky side is passenger, it’s not a big deal.
Haha. I’m probably gonna take a whole day to do it and not have anything else I need to get done that day.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any special tools or extensions required that day a normal tool kit wouldn’t have? I want to be fully prepared for it.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What have y'all done with the oil filler tube when changing these valve covers? I see no info posted about them. How do you remove them and install them? I read these can hair line crack and leak oil pretty good. Is the gasket at the base replaceable?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What have y'all done with the oil filler tube when changing these valve covers? I see no info posted about them. How do you remove them and install them? I read these can hair line crack and leak oil pretty good. Is the gasket at the base replaceable?
You don’t need to do anything with it, just leave it in. It just twists out if you do want to. And I don’t see how they could leak except maybe right where they twist in. There’s an o ring but you can’t get it separate. You might find one that works though at an auto parts or hardware store.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any special tools or extensions required that day a normal tool kit wouldn’t have? I want to be fully prepared for it.

Nah. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and a combination of short- and deep-walled sockets and a short (3"?) extension. IIRC, all the socket sizes you'll need for the actual R@R are 8mm and 10mm. Nothing about this gets any serious torquing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2