valve train procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triker97

Reaction score
Ok so I'm just waiting on my income tax to get started on this but can anyone either refer me to a link or tell me a simplified (if possible) way to replace my lifters, rocker arms and push rods? Should I go ahead and replace the valve springs as well? I have 06 Yukon XL 1500 RWD with a 5.3 v8 L59
I'm not sure if I want to go with stock valve train or upgraded. Insight on this would be awesome too, I'm not sure if I want to upgrade my cam also what do y'all think?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm just waiting on my income tax to get started on this but can anyone either refer me to a link or tell me a simplified (if possible) way to replace my lifters, rocker arms and push rods? Should I go ahead and replace the valve springs as well? I have 06 Yukon XL 1500 RWD with a 5.3 v8 L59
I'm not sure if I want to go with stock valve train or upgraded. Insight on this would be awesome too, I'm not sure if I want to upgrade my cam also what do y'all think?
Big check we assume? Have you done this type of work before? Unless you have, some of that check will be spent on tools in order to tackle your wish list.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm just waiting on my income tax to get started on this but can anyone either refer me to a link or tell me a simplified (if possible) way to
UPGREYD
my lifters, rocker arms and push rods?
If I'm going to do the above, may as well go ahead and
UPGREYD
the valve springs as well?
Fixed it for you.
Seriously, though, you didn't bother to mention how many miles it has on it.
If you're considering this, you should know that a pcm tune will be required to get what you're expecting out of it.
Upgrading the valvetrain without tuning for it WILL disappoint you.
If you also upgrade the cam without a tune, it will basically convince you that a tune is necessary.

And now for the counterpoint ... (If your '06 YXL already has 4.10, skip the rest of this post. Otherwise ...)

GM under-geared every axle in every vehicle with a V8 they've sold since 1975 (CAFE MpG standards).
I bet it has a 3.73 axle?
You may not fully appreciate how much more sprightly it'll be with a 4.10 axle (and you only need ONE axle, you lucky bastaducci).
'But what about MpGs?'
Your city MpG will either stay the same or IMPROVE.
True, your highway MpG will be far more dependent on the discipline of your right foot.
For every MpG you 'waste', though, you'll get back more smiles per gallon, I assure you.
(If it has a 3.42 axle, then don't waste any more time thinking about upgrading the engine!)
(And if it has tires taller than 32", 4.30.)

Upgrading the engine is simply not going to give you the bang-for-the-buck that upgrading your axle gear will.
If only you had someone close enough to you with 4.10 or 4.30 ...

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Fixed it for you.
Seriously, though, you didn't bother to mention how many miles it has on it.
If you're considering this, you should know that a pcm tune will be required to get what you're expecting out of it.
Upgrading the valvetrain without tuning for it WILL disappoint you.
If you also upgrade the cam without a tune, it will basically convince you that a tune is necessary.

And now for the counterpoint ... (If your '06 YXL already has 4.10, skip the rest of this post. Otherwise ...)

GM under-geared every axle in every vehicle with a V8 they've sold since 1975 (CAFE MpG standards).
I bet it has a 3.73 axle?
You may not fully appreciate how much more sprightly it'll be with a 4.10 axle (and you only need ONE axle, you lucky bastaducci).
'But what about MpGs?'
Your city MpG will either stay the same or IMPROVE.
True, your highway MpG will be far more dependent on the discipline of your right foot.
For every MpG you 'waste', though, you'll get back more smiles per gallon, I assure you.
(If it has a 3.42 axle, then don't waste any more time thinking about upgrading the engine!)
(And if it has tires taller than 32", 4.30.)

Upgrading the engine is simply not going to give you the bang-for-the-buck that upgrading your axle gear will.
If only you had someone close enough to you with 4.10 or 4.30 ...
Ya currently I have the 3.42 in the rear end, I'm planning on getting a 4.10 in the rear end anyway, especially to help with my wheels. I purchased the truck (private party) with 20s, there's a lot I gotta fix.
I know I'm gunna have to get a tune when upgrading cam and valve train. She has 230k on her, I am getting the transmission rebuilt, she won't go in to drive, only moves in 1 2 & 3, so I figured might as well get her rebuilt. But just for more clarity, I have a lifter tick so i wanna get it fixed and if possible upgraded.
I was told (I want to see if this is right) that if I have coil packs and not a distributor cap, that when replacing the valve train I won't have to worry about TDC. Is this true? Is there more or less to it?

I appreciate the info you did give, but I never said anything about wanting a bang for my buck or anything, that was in a different post. I'm not worried about my rear axle, currently I'm just trying to get her up and running again

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Big check we assume? Have you done this type of work before? Unless you have, some of that check will be spent on tools in order to tackle your wish list.
Yes sir, (sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't looked at your profile) big check. I have not dug this far into a engine before, it will be my first time. As far as tools go, I know I'm gunna need A: more tools and B: special tools
Are there any specific tools that I would need or that would just make the job easier that you can think of?
I know if there's wear on the lifters, there's most likely gunna be wear on the cam, still not sure weather I should go with stage 2 or not but also if I do that, I know I'll need the matching valve train as well for it, along with a tune (obviously)
The main question I should've asked is if I don't have a distributor, I have coil pack, do I need to worry about TDC when doin this job???

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, (sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't looked at your profile) big check. I have not dug this far into a engine before, it will be my first time. As far as tools go, I know I'm gunna need A: more tools and B: special tools
Are there any specific tools that I would need or that would just make the job easier that you can think of?
I know if there's wear on the lifters, there's most likely gunna be wear on the cam, still not sure weather I should go with stage 2 or not but also if I do that, I know I'll need the matching valve train as well for it, along with a tune (obviously)
The main question I should've asked is if I don't have a distributor, I have coil pack, do I need to worry about TDC when doin this job???
So I’ll put this out there, if you have a question about TDC, then you are going to need assistance, hours of YouTube, then let us know next year once you have given up and paid a shop to do the work. You have a very steep learning curve ahead. I’m a bit old and built a few BB Chevys in my day, and would not take on this task unless I had a school bus full of franklins and more time to spare than John Dutton with your experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo