Valve cover gasket write up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cameradude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"8) Apply a small amount of fresh oil or axle/bearing grease to the inner hole of the new grommet and push the screw/tube through it. This will be the toughest part of the whole process. I got an 8mm (or 6 or 7?) deep wall 1/4" drive socket- whatever size it was that matched the diameter of the flared end of the tube on the screw and pushed it through the grommet to stretch the hole open to the size of that flared part. I put the screw inside the socket all the way so that the tube bottomed out against the tip of the socket, then used a bigger 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket that slid over the smaller socket to push the grommet down and over the flared part of the tube. I know this sounds confusing and like a lot, but once you have it all in your hands and follow it, it'll make sense. I should've taken pics as I was doing this."

...its easier if you push the gromets onto the screw/tube first then wiggle it in...took me 3min to remove and install them. Only problem area is the passenger side coil packs, the stud that's against the firewall has to be removed/installed with a 10mm ratcheting closed end wrench...after that everything was cake. I just took the plug wires loose from the coils and removed the coils all together to simplify the work space.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...its easier if you push the gromets onto the screw/tube first then wiggle it in...took me 3min to remove and install them. Only problem area is the passenger side coil packs, the stud that's against the firewall has to be removed/installed with a 10mm ratcheting closed end wrench...after that everything was cake. I just took the plug wires loose from the coils and removed the coils all together to simplify the work space.

That's what I was describing in that novel- pushing the grommets onto the tube first, then push it into the rocker cover.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful. Even though I lubed my grommets, I managed to tear one and had to reuse an old one.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across a video on youtube a while back when I went to do my valve cover gaskets that had a simple, yet very effective means of getting the new grommets installed and it saved me the headache of going back to the parts store to buy more and also the headache of yelling at the grommets if they didn't want to install:

Place grommets in your kitchen oven (on a piece of foil) set at 200*F for 8-10 minutes. The grommets will be warm, obviously, but mine slid on the bolts with little resistance and no tearing.

I'll see if I can find the video when I get off work and post it for anyone else that wants to see it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about you guys, but the next step is what I found hard- after the grommets are on the bolts, getting them in the valve covers. But I didn’t use grease or oil, I used dish soap. It’s what I’ve always used for installing rubber parts. Works great for things like rubber hood and door bumpers too, plus it cleans up easy.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about you guys, but the next step is what I found hard- after the grommets are on the bolts, getting them in the valve covers. But I didn’t use grease or oil, I used dish soap. It’s what I’ve always used for installing rubber parts. Works great for things like rubber hood and door bumpers too, plus it cleans up easy.

That was the easy part for me. A little oil on the mating surfaces and pushed on the bolt head while pulling and rotating the shank in a circular motion. They popped right in.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might have that backwards, my memory isn’t too good. But dish soap worked great.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have that backwards, my memory isn’t too good. But dish soap worked great.

Possibly. Regardless, I'll definitely use the heating method next time. I would try dish soap, but I already have enough bottles of various fluids and chemicals on the shelves, a few of which are engine oils.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly. Regardless, I'll definitely use the heating method next time. I would try dish soap, but I already have enough bottles of various fluids and chemicals on the shelves, a few of which are engine oils.
Mmmm the smell of warm rubber in the kitchen...:happy107:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep