Valve cover gasket write up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warm rubber grommets, softened headlight butyl, PVC-on-aluminum adherence experiments... We should almost add a Craigslist oven to our garages as a standard tool item.
That’s what I was thinking when I was doing my headlights. I considered doing powder coating but with no oven it wasn’t happening.

Grind

Reaction score
We should almost add a Craigslist oven to our garages as a standard tool item.
Heh. When I bought my house, it included an old electric range. I prefer gas. So, I did what any crafty guy would do. I chucked that 'lectric range in the truck and hauled it to the shop, where I have 240v available. :cool:

But I've only recently picked up a powder coat kit from Eastwood. I have opened a few sets of headlights, though .

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m surprised at this maintenance item. I thought it was gonna be way harder than it actually was. The hardest part was the grommets going back on the bolts and it was fairly easy. So as it turns out, the valve covers just came right off once the bolts were off. I literally didn’t have to apply any force at all to take them off. So apparently they were loose and that could have been why they were leaking. The gaskets actually didn’t look bad. But I was already in there so new gaskets went it. Lol. Passenger side was smooth, but I broke a bolt on the driver’s side trying to make sure it was tightened down enough:banghead:. I was so irritated. I spent the late afternoon trying to find a replacement bolt, to no avail. But I gotta try the two other shops first thing in the so hopefully I can put it back together and get it done with. Proud of myself for tackling this one. But pissed because it should have been done already. Lol

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So I’m surprised at this maintenance item. I thought it was gonna be way harder than it actually was. The hardest part was the grommets going back on the bolts and it was fairly easy. So as it turns out, the valve covers just came right off once the bolts were off. I literally didn’t have to apply any force at all to take them off. So apparently they were loose and that could have been why they were leaking. The gaskets actually didn’t look bad. But I was already in there so new gaskets went it. Lol. Passenger side was smooth, but I broke a bolt on the driver’s side trying to make sure it was tightened down enough:banghead:. I was so irritated. I spent the late afternoon trying to find a replacement bolt, to no avail. But I gotta try the two other shops first thing in the so hopefully I can put it back together and get it done with. Proud of myself for tackling this one. But pissed because it should have been done already. Lol

Torque wrench?