Valve cover gasket write up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it took half a grunt (or teeth clinch- whichever you do) to break the bolt free when removing it, it'll take 10% less of that same grunt or teeth clinch to restore it to it's proper torque. You'll learn it.
For the sake of this job actually not being difficult, none of the bolts were difficult to remove. But that also means everything was loose and I think that’s why it was leaking oil.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well two broken bolts, a trip to the Chevy dealership in the high desert, and torque wrench from harbor freight later, my valve covers are back on the way should be with new gaskets, all bolts in to the right spec, and no leak so far. Glad to have it done but damn.... that was annoying.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Well two broken bolts, a trip to the Chevy dealership in the high desert, and torque wrench from harbor freight later, my valve covers are back on the way should be with new gaskets, all bolts in to the right spec, and no leak so far. Half to have it done but damn.... that was annoying.

Attaboy.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well two broken bolts, a trip to the Chevy dealership in the high desert, and torque wrench from harbor freight later, my valve covers are back on the way should be with new gaskets, all bolts in to the right spec, and no leak so far. Half to have it done but damn.... that was annoying.
I'd give it a week or so, then recheck the torque on the bolts.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feels good to know it’s done right though, and you did it yourself so you KNOW it’s right.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the sake of this job actually not being difficult, none of the bolts were difficult to remove. But that also means everything was loose and I think that’s why it was leaking oil.

The gaskets are squashed, which is how they work, and they lose their elasticity from the years of heat cycles. They may even shrink a little. This relieves tension on the bolts, making them slightly loose. Imagine tightening down a bolt with a washer under the head, then removing that washer. The bolt would then be loose and could be tightened down more the thickness of that washer. Same effect with your gaskets, only re-torquing the bolts isn't always a reliable solution because the gasket material isn't as pliable. It doesn't squish any more cuz it's already squashed.

Glad you finally squashed this project. You now have somewhat intimate knowledge of your motor, a new tool and am wiser for the wear.

... I tried, but couldn't come up with any other ways to use "squash" and "squish".

Squish.

Squash.

Squished.

Squashed.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t need to do anything with it, just leave it in. It just twists out if you do want to. And I don’t see how they could leak except maybe right where they twist in. There’s an o ring but you can’t get it separate. You might find one that works though at an auto parts or hardware store.

This weekend I cleaned all the shit off it and it was definitely loose on an angle and the o-ring was sticking out the top. So I cleaned it up and pushed it back in and put silicon adhesive on it just to see of it was the source of one of my leaks. This was after a day of driving, seems nice and dry now. This is only temporary until I can afford new covers and gaskets and filler neck.

IMG_0909.JPG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend I cleaned all the shit off it and it was definitely loose on an angle and the o-ring was sticking out the top. So I cleaned it up and pushed it back in and put silicon adhesive on it just to see of it was the source of one of my leaks. This was after a day of driving, seems nice and dry now. This is only temporary until I can afford new covers and gaskets and filler neck.

View attachment 225100

Nice cream pie.