Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am headed south to North Florida this weekend - I will be on the lookout for some E85 "in the name of science" along the highway!
My attempted science project was a bust - none of the stations I stopped at for fuel had E85 anywhere...On a positive note, I found my truck doesnt get as awful mileage as first thought. During my 3000+ mile trip, saw between 17.2 and 18.5 MPGs depending on traffic and driving (@Doubeleive had a few "Wes" episodes of high speed passes) conditions.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My attempted science project was a bust - none of the stations I stopped at for fuel had E85 anywhere...On a positive note, I found my truck doesnt get as awful mileage as first thought. During my 3000+ mile trip, saw between 17.2 and 18.5 MPGs depending on traffic and driving (@Doubeleive had a few "Wes" episodes of high speed passes) conditions.
Next time use the Gas Buddy app on your phone to look for them. They're not everywhere but Tampa/St. Pete and South Florida and the Orlando area all have lots of stations that sell it. Even my little bedroom community has 7 or 8 stations now.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 2 destinations in Florida while there - Spring Hill/Brooksville and Marianna. There is just about less than jack shit on the drive between those 2 places. LOL

Forgot all about gas buddy app on my phone but seemed like the drive back tended to be outside of major area when it was time for go-go juice! Thanks for the reminder about the app-old age is slowly killing the 2 brain cells I have left!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first "Roller" video! LOL

The Yukon was called up for towing duties once again. Truck weighed about 7,000 pounds and the trailer loaded was about 4,000 pounds. Might have been heavier as Tow/Haul mode felt perfect running through the gears.

No squat this time with the new GM springs installed in 2021.

2020:
20201220 - U-Haul at Cracker Barrel.jpg

2022:
IMG_E0748.JPG

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The view from my hotel this morning:

20221210_093854.jpg

Ran up to Jacksonville to tour the USS Orleck. A young man on board who volunteers gave me a great tour. With the navigation maps being out of date, getting to the ship was frustrating, the highway exits do not exist anymore. Took about 10 minutes to get back on track. Leaving was fine.

Truck has been on E85 since mid-November, burned through about 180 gallons so far and the content has been surprisingly low, high 60s at first to mid 70s until today when it finally came up to 80%. Just before I left, we took a fuel sample from the fuel rail and it shows about 78-80% while the computer showed 76%. Close enough for tv.

Now for the cool part, the "gas" mileage! Going up, she averaged 15.4 mpg and coming back she averaged 15.2 mpg at 72 mph average both ways. We made this run on gasoline a few months ago and averaged 19 mpg.

This tells me that the KO2s did not affect the city mileage hardly at all but gave up about two miles per gallon on the highway.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The view from my hotel this morning:

View attachment 387141

Ran up to Jacksonville to tour the USS Orleck. A young man on board who volunteers gave me a great tour. With the navigation maps being out of date, getting to the ship was frustrating, the highway exits do not exist anymore. Took about 10 minutes to get back on track. Leaving was fine.

Truck has been on E85 since mid-November, burned through about 180 gallons so far and the content has been surprisingly low, high 60s at first to mid 70s until today when it finally came up to 80%. Just before I left, we took a fuel sample from the fuel rail and it shows about 78-80% while the computer showed 76%. Close enough for tv.

Now for the cool part, the "gas" mileage! Going up, she averaged 15.4 mpg and coming back she averaged 15.2 mpg at 72 mph average both ways. We made this run on gasoline a few months ago and averaged 19 mpg.

This tells me that the KO2s did not affect the city mileage hardly at all but gave up about two miles per gallon on the highway.
That looks like fun!

What map app were you using? I always recommend Waze because it can show the location of the police, as well as accidents, objects in the road, cars on the shoulder, animals/roadkill, traffic jams, construction/etc.... as long as other users report it in their Waze app.

If you're ever passing through Wilmington, NC you need to take a tour of the USS North Carolina. It's a massive Iowa Class battleship, and you can explore the ship for hours.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like fun!

What map app were you using? I always recommend Waze because it can show the location of the police, as well as accidents, objects in the road, cars on the shoulder, animals/roadkill, traffic jams, construction/etc.... as long as other users report it in their Waze app.

If you're ever passing through Wilmington, NC you need to take a tour of the USS North Carolina. It's a massive Iowa Class battleship, and you can explore the ship for hours.
I was running the in car navigation unit with its 2016 circa map which was the last one produced. Waze is great.

Love Wilmington and Carolina and Wrightsville Beach but haven't been since 1990. Toured the USS North Carolina back then as well. Would be nice to take my wife there for a long weekend of relaxation and a little sightseeing. Planning on running up to Savannah to visit the National Museum of the Mighty Eigth Air Force and some other local attractions soon.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running the in car navigation unit with its 2016 circa map which was the last one produced. Waze is great.

Love Wilmington and Carolina and Wrightsville Beach but haven't been since 1990. Toured the USS North Carolina back then as well. Would be nice to take my wife there for a long weekend of relaxation and a little sightseeing. Planning on running up to Savannah to visit the National Museum of the Mighty Eigth Air Force and some other local attractions soon.

I used to live in Wilmington... moved there after college at the advice of my USMC buddy. Great advice when several of the new friends owned bars downtown! Fun is an understatement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts