Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealership provided the before and after alignment sheet. Another thing to note, the KO2s wore down pretty much evenly over their lifespan, 1/32 of an inch every 8,000 miles. Some say they wore down fast and then became hockey pucks. Seemed true at times but the data doesn't lie.

If it will stop raining, we're going to replace the drip weatherstrip on both sides, there are rust bubbles on both sides above the passenger rear doors. One bubble on each side. Pics to follow when we can finally get after it.

Wife and kids have been driving the truck and as suspected they love to rev the motor. What does that mean? That means it's time to check the oil! Yep, about 3/4 of a quart down! LOL Funny how it gets good gas mileage and doesn't burn oil when I drive it but is lucky to get 200 miles on a full tank and always gets thirsty for oil!

Oh, almost forgot! A few months ago we learned that Palm Beach International Raceway was being sold and that the track would close down at the end of December. That was the original story anyway. So we took the trucks down a couple weeks ago and made some passes again. It was Julia's first time down the drag strip and of course, the first time she ever ran the Sierra at the drag strip so I knew this old man had an edge!

We lined up together and I beat her off the line but that glorious 6.2 ran me down at the end. For the next pass, I let my youngest daughter use it to make her first pass ever on the drag strip and she did great too! Her time equaled my best last time out with the fellas in 2019. Truck was down about 10 horsepower over last time. The alcohol content is off again. We put both trucks on E85 again for the track. Race weight with me in it was 6346, the guy plugged in the track scale and weighed us. The Sierra weighed in at 6072 pounds.

I have videos around here somewhere...

Well, I cannot remember where I put them or even if my wife really gave them to me. Losing your memory stinks, especially when you know it!

Anyhow, here are the timeslips, 2 passes for each truck. 579X is the Yukon XL and 8349 is the Sierra. Both trucks launched from idle on advice of Tom @gooffeyguy and it seemed to have done us good. Julia did a mini burnout on the second pass. I might have spun on the first a hair, the Sierra spun quite a bit which when found, the video will show.

View attachment 356122

Julia's 2nd pass in the Sierra is near identical to the first pass I ever made in my '85 Buick Grand National, the non-intercooled version, oh so long ago.

Would have been nice to get more runs in but the lanes were full of selfish drivers with cars not ready to race. Consequently they were dropping fluids and parts all over the track all night long.

Sorry to hear about the track closing. :(

Is it just gonna be under new ownership or is it going away for good?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealership provided the before and after alignment sheet. Another thing to note, the KO2s wore down pretty much evenly over their lifespan, 1/32 of an inch every 8,000 miles. Some say they wore down fast and then became hockey pucks. Seemed true at times but the data doesn't lie.

If it will stop raining, we're going to replace the drip weatherstrip on both sides, there are rust bubbles on both sides above the passenger rear doors. One bubble on each side. Pics to follow when we can finally get after it.

Wife and kids have been driving the truck and as suspected they love to rev the motor. What does that mean? That means it's time to check the oil! Yep, about 3/4 of a quart down! LOL Funny how it gets good gas mileage and doesn't burn oil when I drive it but is lucky to get 200 miles on a full tank and always gets thirsty for oil!

Oh, almost forgot! A few months ago we learned that Palm Beach International Raceway was being sold and that the track would close down at the end of December. That was the original story anyway. So we took the trucks down a couple weeks ago and made some passes again. It was Julia's first time down the drag strip and of course, the first time she ever ran the Sierra at the drag strip so I knew this old man had an edge!

We lined up together and I beat her off the line but that glorious 6.2 ran me down at the end. For the next pass, I let my youngest daughter use it to make her first pass ever on the drag strip and she did great too! Her time equaled my best last time out with the fellas in 2019. Truck was down about 10 horsepower over last time. The alcohol content is off again. We put both trucks on E85 again for the track. Race weight with me in it was 6346, the guy plugged in the track scale and weighed us. The Sierra weighed in at 6072 pounds.

I have videos around here somewhere...

Well, I cannot remember where I put them or even if my wife really gave them to me. Losing your memory stinks, especially when you know it!

Anyhow, here are the timeslips, 2 passes for each truck. 579X is the Yukon XL and 8349 is the Sierra. Both trucks launched from idle on advice of Tom @gooffeyguy and it seemed to have done us good. Julia did a mini burnout on the second pass. I might have spun on the first a hair, the Sierra spun quite a bit which when found, the video will show.

View attachment 356122

Julia's 2nd pass in the Sierra is near identical to the first pass I ever made in my '85 Buick Grand National, the non-intercooled version, oh so long ago.

Would have been nice to get more runs in but the lanes were full of selfish drivers with cars not ready to race. Consequently they were dropping fluids and parts all over the track all night long.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you holeshot'd her but then she whipped your ass

Yep, passed me around 1000'! LOL

But wait, she only beat me by .069 seconds when you figure in our reaction times! LOL

Supposedly it was sold to a guy who wants to put storage units on the land. However, a lot of celebrities and others are trying to get the county to not approve the sale and leave it a track, investing tens of millions to update it. When we were there we received conflicting information from the employees. I'm going to try for another night of fun in December, on gasoline this time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headed south into West Palm last night to an old favorite restaurant to celebrate the birthday of our oldest daughter. I set the cruise for 65 after it was refueled at a Chevron with 93 octane and added two bottles of Techron. She averaged a solid 21 mpg. Afterwards we had cake at my folks' home and there was plenty of idling waiting for my wife to do this or that. Headed home at 72 mph and the DIC reported 17.8 mpg still.

Still can't get over how quiet it is inside the cabin now, even with tinnitus, we can converse with the rear passengers without talking loud. I would imagine you fellas with Escalades and Denalis have it even quieter!

Went to test the resistance of a replacement set of OE plug wires, the HF multimeter died and had to make a special trip to get some 357A batteries for my trusty ancient Radio Shack digital multimeter that I thought was broken. All eight wires averaged 842 ohms. 7 were less than 1% different than the average, 1 spec'd out at 832 ohms. Should I put that one on number eight?

The factory spec is 397 to 1337 ohms which is an average of 867.

I see several companies advertising less than 50 ohms but after doing some research it seems that the materials used doesn't hold up long to automotive use and that could lead to damage, besides, it's out of spec for what the computer system is looking for.

I used to run Magnecor wires in my Buicks, might someday on this.

I also read not to use anti-seize on the spark plugs, that the material used does not rust and the coating breaks away so they don't get stuck in aluminum heads. Torque is only 11 foot pounds. Various sources said anti-seize causes them to tighten even further and am sure I tightened them even more as I'm used to cast iron heads! Still learning on these things, too slowly for my tastes.

Anyhow, it's been about 50k miles since the plugs and wires were changed, going to do it again, inspect the old ones and maybe get her back down the quarter mile before the year ends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your Drip Weatherstrips!

Finally got around to replacing these today. One was cut and rust was discovered underneath both of them recently. I thought it was a much bigger deal than it was, there were no 7 pins like the shop manual mentioned and the 3M adhesive was only on the vertical portion, and even that was friction fit like the rest. Had I known, I would have taken them off and cleaned behind them long ago.

We pulled them off, ground away the rust, cleaned up the rails, painted them, used Goo-Gone to remove the adhesive residue and put the new Drip Weatherstrips on.

The passenger side was nearly identical, a little worse. That cut was there when I bought it, just got bigger over the years and was finally catching air and making noise.

20211210_145206.jpg20211210_145242.jpg20211210_145706.jpg20211210_145720.jpg

The new gaskets are of a different design than the originals, they look the same as the ones on the 2012 Sierra.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil and filter last night. While down there I noticed that there was grease on the tie rod and then saw that it coming from the outer CV axle boot on the passenger side. Damn! Grease is pretty clean so it probably hasn't been broken too long. It had been 40 days since anyone had been underneath, the dealership was the last one down there.

Anyhow, I ordered a Cardone reman from Amazon and will buy the tools and parts to rebuild this one at my leisure or as long as the Cardone lasts! Trying to get the truck track ready for Friday night!

Oil filter was kinda loose, there was oil all over the place and we changed the cooler lines in May, the two 10mm bolts were tight. Need some more Brake Cleaner, my youngest finished off our supply after doing the brakes on the Kia.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate it when someone else works on my cars still!

So my youngest daughter and I knocked out the replacement of the CV shaft this afternoon and then we rotated the tires. Boy were they hard to remove! The LF was on so tight I had to put the impact gun on it and even then most of the lugs took nearly 10 seconds to move! But wait! It gets better!

That gets done, positions are relearned and now it's time for a test drive. Jaime thinks she hears something as I back down the drive. I stop, move slower and she has me stop and hands me a stick on wheel weight! Pull out into the street and move slow and now we can hear a rhythmic click in time with the wheel turning. Remaining weights are being hit by the brake caliper!

I call the dealership, nobody calls back so I made an appointment and someone called back. Going to bring it in on the morrow. We'll knock the rest of the weights off so they don't cause a problem while driving.

So here's my gripes after this one visit.
1. Tires were not placed on wheels where specified.
2. More weight was used than Michelin recommends.
3. Weight was placed in wrong places.
4. Wheels were not torqued properly.
5. Tires vibrate above 64 MPH.

Do you think an ASE certified mechanic did this? I was a tire man and my felons did better work than this.

Plugs and wires have to wait.

The Cardone shaft is a GM reman. The boots are different as are the fasteners. The big ends are not swaged like the OE, they could snag on something and get torn open if the going got rough. Still plan on picking up the tools and fixing the original someday. Very glad that Amazon delivered it way early, I mean like a day and half early, it was on the porch before 8 am!

Put the new Transfer Case switch in the dash and tested it out. Seems to work much faster than before, maybe it's me. I ran it through all modes save for Neutral for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck back to the dealer on Friday. They stood behind their tire guy and had him work on the truck again. Anyhow, he moved the tires on each wheel and balanced them again, they are smooth as cream up to at least 80 mph now. Very nice! They also replaced the airbag and the young man that did the work said he was very careful not to damage the dash and he did not. I thanked him with cash. My wife commented on how smooth it rides now when she took it for errands.

Our youngest cleaned and detailed the interior today, save for the glass. Still trying to get the plugs and wires in but some of the other cars have higher priority repairs right now.

Hope you all are having a nice Christmas season. Our tree is up and decorated, lights are on the house, cooking and baking has started, it's going to get better. I bought eggnog early this year! Just wasn't well enough to attend church today. Hoping to make Wednesday night's service.

Hmmm... I can smell the London Broil, it's almost ready!

Merry Christmas!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the truck back to the dealer on Friday. They stood behind their tire guy and had him work on the truck again. Anyhow, he moved the tires on each wheel and balanced them again, they are smooth as cream up to at least 80 mph now. Very nice! They also replaced the airbag and the young man that did the work said he was very careful not to damage the dash and he did not. I thanked him with cash. My wife commented on how smooth it rides now when she took it for errands.

Our youngest cleaned and detailed the interior today, save for the glass. Still trying to get the plugs and wires in but some of the other cars have higher priority repairs right now.

Hope you all are having a nice Christmas season. Our tree is up and decorated, lights are on the house, cooking and baking has started, it's going to get better. I bought eggnog early this year! Just wasn't well enough to attend church today. Hoping to make Wednesday night's service.

Hmmm... I can smell the London Broil, it's almost ready!

Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz