Transmission gone... does this rebuild estimate seem fair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PJDYukonXL

PJDYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Follow Up:

So, in the end I let the shop do the repair their way.

I would encourage anyone in my situation to discuss all the concerns @NickTransmissions brought up before letting the shop take your transmission apart. I did feel a bit held hostage at that point and continued with letting them finish the repair their way (keep in mind, this is still a very reputable shop with 500+ 5 star reviews).

I certainly think I paid a premium for what I got - out the door, rebuilt tranny with billet TC was $7,147.43 plus tax.

Also, they now have their claws into me for the local warranty. While it's a lifetime guarantee on all mechanical parts (not including torque converter) it is non-transferable and requires me to do an annual service with the shop at $300/year to maintain the warranty.

Expensive lesson to learn and I expect I'll be keeping the vehicle a bit longer than originally expected due to this costly repair.

That said, it's still the perfect vehicle for our family of 5 with 2 littles in car seats still! After driving a couple hundred miles, I can certainly notice a difference in shifts around town and on highway. I also didn't realize how much it "clunked" into reverse every morning backing out of my driveway - all good now!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow Up:

I would encourage anyone in my situation to discuss all the concerns @NickTransmissions brought up before letting the shop take your transmission apart. I did feel a bit held hostage at that point and continued with letting them finish the repair their way (keep in mind, this is still a very reputable shop with 500+ 5 star reviews).

I certainly think I paid a premium for what I got - out the door, rebuilt tranny with billet TC was $7,147.43 plus tax.

Also, they now have their claws into me for the local warranty. While it's a lifetime guarantee on all mechanical parts (not including torque converter) it is non-transferable and requires me to do an annual service with the shop at $300/year to maintain the warranty.

Expensive lesson to learn and I expect I'll be keeping the vehicle a bit longer than originally expected due to this costly repair.

That said, it's still the prefect vehicle for our family of 5 with 2 littles in car seats still! After driving a couple hundred miles, I can certainly notice a difference in shifts around town and on highway. I also didn't realize how much it "clunked" into reverse every morning backing out of my driveway - all good now!

Glad you're back on the road in one of the safest vehicles ever made. Please give us an update in a few thousand miles, after she's broken in.

I forget, did they put in a lower temp transmission thermostat?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow Up:

That said, it's still the perfect vehicle for our family of 5 with 2 littles in car seats still! After driving a couple hundred miles, I can certainly notice a difference in shifts around town and on highway. I also didn't realize how much it "clunked" into reverse every morning backing out of my driveway - all good now!

Echoing @swathdiver , glad your vehicle has been repaired and appreciate the mention - happy to help. Also while time will ultimately tell, it sounds like they did a good job based on your feedback on the shifting, general performance etc.

One question: Is the $300 per year to maintain the warranty applied after the first year and can you opt out? How long can you maintain the warranty by paying the $300?

OP
OP
PJDYukonXL

PJDYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad you're back on the road in one of the safest vehicles ever made. Please give us an update in a few thousand miles, after she's broken in.

I forget, did they put in a lower temp transmission thermostat?
I need to verify that... I have a 15-day follow up service appointment with the shop and I'll check. Question - if they didn't, is it too late at this point now that everything is reinstalled? Or can the thermostat be swapped separately?

OP
OP
PJDYukonXL

PJDYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Echoing @swathdiver , glad your vehicle has been repaired and appreciate the mention - happy to help. Also while time will ultimately tell, it sounds like they did a good job based on your feedback on the shifting, general performance etc.

One question: Is the $300 per year to maintain the warranty applied after the first year and can you opt out? How long can you maintain the warranty by paying the $300?
It would appear that it's "lifetime" at this shop and on parts only as long as I own the vehicle and continue the annual service every May (30 days grace period each year)... attaching a snippet of the warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230516_220233_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230516_220233_Messages.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 6

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would appear that it's "lifetime" at this shop and on parts only as long as I own the vehicle and continue the annual service every May (30 days grace period each year)... attaching a snippet of the warranty.
Interesting…thermostat can be swapped or deleted whenever, it’s not inside the transmission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to verify that... I have a 15-day follow up service appointment with the shop and I'll check. Question - if they didn't, is it too late at this point now that everything is reinstalled? Or can the thermostat be swapped separately?
Anytime, it's on the side of the transmission where the cooler lines connect to it. I think if you remove the one inside the flow to the coolers is disrupted. You can either put in the lower temp unit or flip the existing one upside down. @NickTransmissions

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Interesting…thermostat can be swapped or deleted whenever, it’s not inside the transmission.
So, you did not know about that or was just set in on doing it a certain way no matter what? I don't doubt you. You are a tech that I understand. I just want the info from prime techs.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anytime, it's on the side of the transmission where the cooler lines connect to it. I think if you remove the one inside the flow to the coolers is disrupted. You can either put in the lower temp unit or flip the existing one upside down. @NickTransmissions
Yep, you can flip it, takes just a few min…I usually recommend a delete kit like the one from Superior Technologies and that keeps fluid cooled via heat exchangers (teans coolers) flowing continuously back into the transmission, keeping temps in check. I believe the factory thermostat begins to open at 190 so fluid is usually 210-215 or so.

This article provides an overview of cooling options.

Only exception to this practice is when the transmission (vehicle) is in a cold weather climate and temps routinely drop into the teens or below…