Transmission gone... does this rebuild estimate seem fair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would appear that it's "lifetime" at this shop and on parts only as long as I own the vehicle and continue the annual service every May (30 days grace period each year)... attaching a snippet of the warranty.
That warranty says “transmission with torque converter”, or did I read that wrong?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, they now have their claws into me for the local warranty.
While it's a lifetime guarantee on all mechanical parts (not including torque converter), it is non-transferable and requires me to do an annual service with the shop at
$300 / year
to maintain the warranty.
It would appear that it's "lifetime" at this shop and on parts only, as long as I own the vehicle and continue the
$300 / year
service every May (30 days grace period each year) ...
How many miles do you put on this transmission every year?
'cause it seems like this next rebuild better last another 100,000 - 150,000 more miles for it to be worth it.

Does ANYONE service their transmission yearly?

moman406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally I would just order a remanufactured Transmission and have my local shop swap it in or do it myself for a lot less money. Why would you waste $1,420.00 on a diagnosis for a 7 year old vehicles transmission? The dang thing is shot swap it out and move on.
I just had my 4L60E completely rebuilt. Shop removed and rebuild and reinstalled for $2800.16. 1995 2 door Tahoe. Included a new torque convertor

Reaction score
I just had my 4L60E completely rebuilt. Shop removed and rebuild and reinstalled for $2800.16. 1995 2 door Tahoe. Included a new torque convertor
What did they charge for the rebuild itself and what did they do specifically, if you know?

For $2800 (less say, $700 for R/R, fluid, line and cooler(s) flushing would leave $2100 for the trans.

I can build one hell of a '95 4L60e for $2100.00.

CM_2016Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Yukon XL SLT - 95k miles. 6l80 transmission - 2 nights ago felt like it was starting in 4th gear, kept changing gears on highway, clunky shifting. Took it to a local shop and was told the following:

We have thoroughly inspected your transmission. The valve body assembly (hydraulic cross leak) and the Torque Converter(overheating) are bad. The transmission has other internal failures; ie, burnt clutches and steels.

We can fix it. The first step is to remove, disassemble, and inspect the transmission. This labor equals $1,420.00.

The range the rebuild this six (6) speed transmission is from
$5,680.00 up to $6,350.00 + taxes

The inspection labor is included in the price range above.

Comes with lifetime warranty on internal mechanical parts.

Does this seem like a fair estimate? Transmission shop has 4.9 star rating with 500 reviews in Orlando, FL.

Also, anything I should try to have upgraded at this time?
Hi,
I just went through this with my 2016 Tahoe (6 speed). Got a trans "overhaul" with a billet torque converter. Solved the problem!
Cost me $5,100.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hi,
I just went through this with my 2016 Tahoe (6 speed). Got a trans "overhaul" with a billet torque converter. Solved the problem!
Cost me $5,100.
You will get better responses to your concerns with a separate thread that you would start.

Welcome to the forum.

CM_2016Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will get better responses to your concerns with a separate thread that you would start.

Welcome to the forum.
Not to sound dumb, but what do you mean? Do you mean that I should type my response in my own thread or comment box and not directly reply to one person?

Reaction score
Not to sound dumb, but what do you mean? Do you mean that I should type my response in my own thread or comment box and not directly reply to one person?
No need to start a separate thread unless you want to expand on your statement ORvietVet quoted or have questions about your vehicle/transmission.