Completed my first transmission rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen richards vids. He goes over all of "this"? What is this? Shift kits are for a specific performance level and will not yield good results if not paired with the right transmission that has certain parts already upgraded but their are also shift kits that work for OEM transmission builds too. Most of the time when a tranny doesnt work correctly after a shift kit is installed is because the ding **** that did it at home in his driveway, the same ding **** that has never opened up a tranny in his life until then...did it wrong. Or is trying to fix a problem that a shift kit wont fix because they dont know how to diagnose a tranny problem.
There are "richards" all over the U.S. Ive ran into quite a few of them....they are the ones that taught me how to build when I did it for a living. ;)

There are of course alot of ding dongs that work at or own a tranny shop too. Those are the ones you have to steer clear of.
I was referring to items like you mentioned. In my 4L60E the shifts seem very soft but maybe that's the design. By soft I mean almost can't feel them. In my 95 Suburban you could definitely feel the shifts. Apparently it's okay because I'm at 170k. Here's a question - Does changing to a slightly firmer shift cause less wear to the clutches in the transmission?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I don't know why i never found this thread before.
well done sir!

I completed my 6l80 recently, so far I'm right around 1300 miles or so and all is going well.

I cut my teeth on an early 700r4 in my 84 vette.
By the time i was done, the only thing 84 about it was the case, input drum, output shaft, and valve body.
I used 5 pinion planets from a 4l65, and upgraded rear support to use the later wide sprag from a 4x4, and a bunch of other parts.
Pump was from a much later unit, I had to replace that due to a grenade'd no name pump rotor that came in the rebuild kit.
v2 of that transmission got all of the upgrades + a billet steel pump rotor. :jester:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why i never found this thread before.
well done sir!

I completed my 6l80 recently, so far I'm right around 1300 miles or so and all is going well.

I cut my teeth on an early 700r4 in my 84 vette.
By the time i was done, the only thing 84 about it was the case, input drum, output shaft, and valve body.
I used 5 pinion planets from a 4l65, and upgraded rear support to use the later wide sprag from a 4x4, and a bunch of other parts.
Pump was from a much later unit, I had to replace that due to a grenade'd no name pump rotor that came in the rebuild kit.
v2 of that transmission got all of the upgrades + a billet steel pump rotor. :jester:
I have an 85 C4. Did you leave the misfire injection in yours or yank it out?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I have an 85 C4. Did you leave the misfire injection in yours or yank it out?

The cfi is actually pretty simple, think of it like a motorcycle dual carb setup and it's easy.

So yes, still in there for now.
I'm at the limit of how much air they can pass, and they are about to get bored out to a larger diameter.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late update everyone. Crazy busy at work, rebuilt my computer and had a fun bout with Kidney stones (ouch!) Anyway. Transmission is doing fine! closing in on 3k miles (should have been there a while ago but with gas prices I have been alternating between the Tahoe and my little four banger for a bit.)
So far she still shifts like new! Nothing odd or weird going on. No chattering, burning fluids, vibrations. or heating issue, she just runs. Going to start a new thread in a bit on my next project. Hopefully I can get this done in a reasonable amount of time so I will keep everyone updated. I will make some update to my other posts from other projects that I done as well.

As always If anything happens I will let you all know!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cfi is actually pretty simple, think of it like a motorcycle dual carb setup and it's easy.

So yes, still in there for now.
I'm at the limit of how much air they can pass, and they are about to get bored out to a larger diameter.
Im lucky. Dont have to worry about it. The 85 models came with TPI. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts