50K Mile Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm not really active on the forum, but I lurk and read now and then. I don't really customize or change my vehicle much, so there's nothing much interesting for me to say.

I just wanted to drop in and say hi, and give an update on my 2015 Denali.

Starting at about 10K miles, I was having an issue with vibration in the truck. The dealer blamed the tires, and replaced 3 of the 4 tires over several visits. I replaced the factory tires (BFG?) with Michelin Defenders, and I haven't had any road vibration issues since. Note that I don't believe this is the buffeting noise that others seem to have.

Around 40K miles, the AC condenser developed a leak and required replacement. It was covered under the extended warranty. I have seen other vehicles have this issue, as well.

It currently has 55K miles on it and is in the shop to have the torque converter replaced. Twice, previously, they "reprogrammed" the transmission for what I will call "clunky shifting." This time, there was a very noticeable shudder as it shifted into 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. Under heavy throttle, it wasn't as noticeable, but under light throttle, it shook the truck.

Also currently being replaced is one of the rear calipers. Basically, it just creaked very loudly whenever I pressed the brake pedal. It is being covered under my extended warranty.

The other issue that is currently being dealt with are broken retainers on the driver's seat. It causes the bottom of the seat to shift when going around a corner. Very annoying, and it's basically $3 in parts that extended warranties won't cover (fasteners are excluded from most extended warranties) with $150 labor to disassemble the seat.

Aside from these issues, I've enjoyed my truck immensely. I with they would get these things right, because aside from reliability issues, I think this is one of the better vehicles on the market.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol "aside from reliability issues this is one of the better vehicles on the market." That statement cracks me up. Reliability is my #1 concern on what makes a good vehicle or not. With that many issues with 55k miles, that is a BIG cause for concern. That statement is something only a big 3 fan could make with a straight face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salanizi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not acceptable to have to replace the torque converter at 55k miles.......

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reliability can be your #1 concern and still not be your ONLY concern. Seems like an easy concept to grasp.
A vehicle can have all the bells and whistles, but if it doesn't run it's not one of the better vehicles. An even easier concept to grasp.

It is unacceptable for a vehicle with only 55k miles to have all of these issues. I'd expect that from a Kia, not a 60+k vehicle.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A vehicle can have all the bells and whistles, but if it doesn't run it's not one of the better vehicles. An even easier concept to grasp.

It is unacceptable for a vehicle with only 55k miles to have all of these issues. I'd expect that from a Kia, not a 60+k vehicle.

I think Kias are better vehicles.
:sunot:

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I end up buying, I am going to have to negotiate extended warranty into the deal. It seems many random things might go wrong on these as opposed to having a few common problems. While Toyota is a bit dated and not as adventurous with their technology offering, my 4Runner drives just like it did when I drove it off the lot 4.5 years ago. The only issues I've had is my 2 front calipers seizing up a couple months ago. I'm not trying to promote Toyota over GM, it's just that these sorts of comments make me reluctant to pick up a Yukon- even though they are a sweet ride!

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most when categorizing a vehicle on whether or not it's well liked, I would think reliability would be the first item listed. IMO, that would remove it from the "better vehicle on the market" idea.

70k miles on our 15 SLT and I have a list 3x the list you have. And stupid me, I'm considering trading it in on a 17 Yukon XL.

Last edited:

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm done after this truck. Can't say that mine has been reliable. I'm going to the other side (Ford) for 18'. Funny you put quality and reliability at the bottom of your list that is opposite for me. I want my truck to Be dependable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879