Transmission gone... does this rebuild estimate seem fair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveclark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a link to this video of his? I’d search but he’s got a billion videos on his channel so would take me forever to find it.

I’m curious as to his rationale & supporting arguments for that statement.

Some shops are down right incompetent, others are unscrupulous and some are both but many are trustworthy and do a good job for their customers.

The main thing for consumers is be sufficiently informed so they can ask the right questions so they know when to walk away if the shop’s answers don’t cut it.

daveclark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nick, I don't have the link to his You Tube I cited but it shouldn't be hard to search out.
Try Remanufactured transmission... or reasons not to rebuild a trans...
I would believe Scotty's experience is what his former client's or current bloggers report.

daveclark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nick, I don't have the link to his You Tube I cited but it shouldn't be hard to search out.
I would believe Scotty's experience is what his former client's or current bloggers report.
While I have your attention please let me know what you think about the symptoms of my problem transmission.
The engine starts, seems to run rough. When I put it in gear and press the accelerator the rpm's come up but the transmission doesn't seem to upshift unless I take my foot off the pedal. A friend who says he had the same symptom on an older truck seems to think it is merely a shifting rpm sensor malfunction. Are you familiar with this? Please let me know. Thanks very much.
I would hate to spend nearly 6k when a 30$ part is the problem.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries, figured if you had it handy we could take a look at it but if not, no biggie.

I take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt as his channel’s more for entertainment with some good knowledge nuggets mixed in….And he is partially right as some (not all) shops definitely fit into his characterization but others such as myself don’t.

I’d take any 6L80e that I or another informed builder puts together over any generically constructed reman unit.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I have your attention please let me know what you think about the symptoms of my problem transmission.
The engine starts, seems to run rough. When I put it in gear and press the accelerator the rpm's come up but the transmission doesn't seem to upshift unless I take my foot off the pedal. A friend who says he had the same symptom on an older truck seems to think it is merely a shifting rpm sensor malfunction. Are you familiar with this? Please let me know. Thanks very much.
I would hate to spend nearly 6k when a 30$ part is the problem.
What transmission?

Generally, no upshift until you let off the gas pedal often indicates worn frictions for whichever clutch pack(s) are being commanded “on” that arent able to hold under throttle but will hold under idle-level pressures.

If you had a VSS or input speed sensor problem, your trans would go into limp mode and you’d have no upshifts at all.

daveclark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No worries, figured if you had it handy we could take a look at it but if not, no biggie.

I take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt as his channel’s more for entertainment with some good knowledge nuggets mixed in….And but he is partially right as some (not all) shops definitely fit into his characterization but others such as myself don’t.

I’d take any 6L80e that I or another informed builder puts together over any generically constructed reman unit.
I'm under the impression I have a 4L80E transmission. I have a 4x4 diesel 2 door.
Are you familiar with Jasper brand?
What transmission?

Generally, no upshift until you let off the gas pedal often indicates worn frictions for whichever clutch pack(s) are being commanded “on” that arent able to hold under throttle but will hold under idle-level pressures.

If you had a VSS or input speed sensor problem, your trans would go into limp mode and you’d have no upshifts at all.
I have a 4L80E trans

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm under the impression I have a 4L80E transmission. I have a 4x4 diesel 2 door.
Are you familiar with Jasper brand?

I have a 4L80E trans
Yep, I know jasper and have rebuilt a few of their stock-level 4l60e transmissions. Nothing negative to say about them, they do a good job from what i have seen. The ones that came through were used in higher performance applications so needed to be beefed up.

Id suggest starting a separate thread in the “engine and drivetrain” subforum that corresponds to your year vehicle for your 4L80 so we don’t side-track this one and id be happy to answer questions about it there.

daveclark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, I know jasper and have rebuilt a few of their stock-level 4l60e transmissions. Nothing negative to say about them, they do a good job from what i have seen. The ones that came through were used in higher performance applications so needed to be beefed up.

Id suggest starting a separate thread in the “engine and drivetrain” subforum that corresponds to your year vehicle for your 4L80 so we don’t side-track this one and id be happy to answer questions about it there.
Will go there now. Thx.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... had it all apart this morning (pics attached).

I believe FTC is their supplier. That website matches what they sent me as the specs of the new TC.
Well, she'll be better than new soon enough. Make sure you get the lower temp transmission thermostat put in or "flip the pill" if it'll stay in Florida and change the fluid every 36K or so from now on. The Florida Torque Converters are tough and guaranteed. They wouldn't tell me all that they do to them or even if they use Sonnax parts but they stand by them and after spot checking every couple of years, have never seen a failure reported across the internet.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shops will have varying rates depending on what they do to the trans, local market going rates for an overhaul as well as cost to R/R the unit to and from the vehicle.

That said, for that amount of money, I’d want to know exactly what they are doing/installing upon overhaul. It should include the following, in addition to stuff like filter, gaskets, seals, orings, sealing rings:

1. New frictions and steels - tell them you want Borg Warner or Raybestos high energy clutches and a new steel module for all clutch packs (consider a kolene pressure plate and steels for the 4-5-6 clutch pack)

2. New TEHCM, Internal Mode Switch, wiring harness and speed sensors - all must be OEM and Fast adaptive relearn performed

3. Sonnax Zip kit installed (has updated valves for the valve body and pump)

4. Pump completely overhauled (both working surfaces machined flat/true, pump rotor and slide-to-deck clearance set at .0015”)

5. 3-5-R drum re-welded at the base where it leaks to prevent recurrence

6. Sonnax 1-2-3-4 billet aluminum apply piston installed in place of factory piston

7. All brand new bonded steel and rubber pistons/piston dams

8. New OEM rear sprag clutch

9. New snap ring for the sprag assembly

10. New torque converter with .050” or thicker converter clutch - DO NOT let them give you an oem converter with the same POS .020” thick clutch as it fails repeatedly

11. Optional unless high peformance or heavy duty: Sonnax billet 4-5-6 clutch hub with Sonnax apply/dam piston kit to run an additional friction and steel in the 4-5-6 clutch pack. The OEM hub can snap in half under power

12. Cooler bypass delete kit or at least a lower temp thermostat so it runs cooler than stock

13. New, updated parking rod assembly (these were prone to failure and if that happens you lose the ability to put the vehicle into park)
I would listen to this guy nick and when my 10 speed goes out in my 2018 Escalade nick will be the one that will fix my transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n