50K Mile Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm done after this truck. Can't say that mine has been reliable. I'm going to the other side (Ford) for 18'. Funny you put quality and reliability at the bottom of your list that is opposite for me. I want my truck to Be dependable.

Aren't quality, reliability, and dependable all synonyms?

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't quality, reliability, and dependable all synonyms?
I would say reliability and dependability probably are, but quality is a whole separate thing imo. Paint and interior can look like crap and the vehicle can still be dependable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Daddy taught me to stay away from first year models.

GM taught me to stay away from their '15+ models.

Unless I'm one of those that considers a "quality vehicle" one that vibrates at speed, produces painful bass notes while driving, intermittently shifts erratically, doesn't have a functioning air conditioner or power seats or infotainment system, has pieces of trim that fly off the body, glitchy engine controls... All for a $55K-$90K bargain! Truly one of the better vehicles on the market.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would not get rid of that truck. Whatever is wrong with it, the techs have not found the cause. Might be time to take it to another dealer.

The only auto we ever bought new allowed us to test drive new cars for years on GMs dime, often for weeks at a time. It was always in the shop; the first problem was a bent engine wire harness pin that would cause the car to just die at random. Spent a whole month in the shop. I had them change techs and he found the problem in a day.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not get rid of that truck. Whatever is wrong with it, the techs have not found the cause. Might be time to take it to another dealer.

The only auto we ever bought new allowed us to test drive new cars for years on GMs dime, often for weeks at a time. It was always in the shop; the first problem was a bent engine wire harness pin that would cause the car to just die at random. Spent a whole month in the shop. I had them change techs and he found the problem in a day.

Sounds like a lot of contortions to stay ‘loyal’ to a particular brand.

If my truck spends more time in the shop than it should my dollars go elsewhere when I trade it in in a year or two.

I ain’t got time for all that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't buy cars to trade in quickly, we've always planned to get at least ten years out of them. And yes, I'm loyal to certain brands because their styles and features appeal to me.

I plan to keep this truck new to me truck for twenty or more years in the family as we add a couple more of the same vintage for economy of scale.

As for the troublesome truck at hand, it's not the truck's fault, this is a problem with that particular service department.

2015Denali4WD

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm not really active on the forum, but I lurk and read now and then. I don't really customize or change my vehicle much, so there's nothing much interesting for me to say.

I just wanted to drop in and say hi, and give an update on my 2015 Denali.

Starting at about 10K miles, I was having an issue with vibration in the truck. The dealer blamed the tires, and replaced 3 of the 4 tires over several visits. I replaced the factory tires (BFG?) with Michelin Defenders, and I haven't had any road vibration issues since. Note that I don't believe this is the buffeting noise that others seem to have.

Around 40K miles, the AC condenser developed a leak and required replacement. It was covered under the extended warranty. I have seen other vehicles have this issue, as well.

It currently has 55K miles on it and is in the shop to have the torque converter replaced. Twice, previously, they "reprogrammed" the transmission for what I will call "clunky shifting." This time, there was a very noticeable shudder as it shifted into 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. Under heavy throttle, it wasn't as noticeable, but under light throttle, it shook the truck.

Also currently being replaced is one of the rear calipers. Basically, it just creaked very loudly whenever I pressed the brake pedal. It is being covered under my extended warranty.

The other issue that is currently being dealt with are broken retainers on the driver's seat. It causes the bottom of the seat to shift when going around a corner. Very annoying, and it's basically $3 in parts that extended warranties won't cover (fasteners are excluded from most extended warranties) with $150 labor to disassemble the seat.

Aside from these issues, I've enjoyed my truck immensely. I with they would get these things right, because aside from reliability issues, I think this is one of the better vehicles on the market.

Mines is having the same issues and I have 50,000 miles on it. I need the transmission reprogrammed aswell it definitely has a clunky shift and torque converter replaced. Every time I put the truck in Auto 4wd it shudders at light throttle.

Reliability in a lot of new cars n trucks these days are the worst they rely to much on technology instead of a human being that knows the car mechanically. The mechanics today are not taught/shown what it takes to be an mechanic just the common basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n