Towing stability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was not aware of that being the case. i think replacing all of the air ride components would have been costly. either way its done now...:)
While air ride is nice, it doesn't actually transfer tongue weight to the front axle, it merely levels the truck. A weight distributing hitch actually lifts the weight off the rear axle and transfers it to the front axle. This is better for handling.

Imagine placing yourself between the rear axle and truck. The weight is still on the axle. Imagine lifting on the back bumper of the truck. You are lifting the weight off the rear axle. This is what the WDH does, and can be helpful if you are near the maximum weight rating of the rear axle. A WDH might also help to save your rear wheel bearings.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory hitch on my 07 Yukon Denali is rated for:
500 Lbs tongues wt.,
and
5000 lbs total towing/pulling wt.

Your results may vary

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
The factory hitch on my 07 Yukon Denali is rated for:
500 Lbs tongues wt.,
and
5000 lbs total towing/pulling wt.

Your results may vary

I noticed the much lower hitch rating than actual tow rating of my Denali.
Supposedly, my Denali is rated at 8,100 lbs towing capacity but the factory hitch says 5,000 lbs like yours does.
GM must use the same hitch across all of their SUV lines.
Guess if I want to actually safely tow anywhere near the rated tow capacity I need to upgrade the hitch.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
I just ordered another hitch from Tractor Supply.
They are having a blow out on towing and trailering equipment so go check it out.
Picked up a Reese 7,000 lb hitch for $65 plus tax.
Not big enough to cover the actual tow capacity of my Yukon but still gives me an extra ton of capacity over the stock hitch.
It will work for now.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/hitches-ball-mounts

Poking around online I found these specs for towing capacity.
Explains why there is a 5,000 lb hitch on all of the Yukon / Tahoe SUVs.

Yukon Tow Specs.JPG

Last edited:

big_tow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While air ride is nice, it doesn't actually transfer tongue weight to the front axle, it merely levels the truck. A weight distributing hitch actually lifts the weight off the rear axle and transfers it to the front axle. This is better for handling.

Imagine placing yourself between the rear axle and truck. The weight is still on the axle. Imagine lifting on the back bumper of the truck. You are lifting the weight off the rear axle. This is what the WDH does, and can be helpful if you are near the maximum weight rating of the rear axle. A WDH might also help to save your rear wheel bearings.
We use one with the camper, but the boat trailer has surge brakes. Yes you are correct though

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This got me curious so I took a pic of my 2021 Yukon Denali hitch (as apposed to the door label) and it shows 850lb tongue and 8,500lb trailer.
1711058455152.png

The door sticker is 750lb tongue and 7,500lb towing.
1711058639439.png

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hitches etc are wight rated WITH or WITHOUT weight distribution hitches.
So you need to look at both...
To me, anything you tow that's over 4K or 400 lb tongue weight SHOULD
be towed using a weight dist system hitch... It's much safer, easier to drive and
a helluva lot easier and your truck

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hitches etc are wight rated WITH or WITHOUT weight distribution hitches.
So you need to look at both...
To me, anything you tow that's over 4K or 400 lb tongue weight SHOULD
be towed using a weight dist system hitch... It's much safer, easier to drive and
a helluva lot easier and your truck
100% agree, on all points.

Airman68

Reaction score
I tow a #5000-ish boat with my 2008 Yukon XL and it does pretty well but I will have to say I think the 4 spd transmission is really the weak point, meaning, I think the 6 speed would work much better. I did add an aux cooler and on the hottest day, it stays at or below 200. Winter, well it doesn't warm up unless I drive quite a ways. I wonder if that will be a long term issue. I could really bypass the aux cooler in the winter. Any opinions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts