2020 Yukon SLT - Standard Hitch for Short Hauls Okay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi -
Forum Members have been a great resource for me with my 96 Yukon, then my 2006 Denali, and now my 2020 Yukon SLT. Based on the help I got I was confident enough ditch the Lexus GX today and get back into a Yukon (and convince my wife!) - so many many thanks.
I am done with highway and mountain towing as I am in my later years, but here's my question:

I now pull a 24 ft Shamrock (5300 lbs dry) about two miles on a tandem trailer (with surge brakes) from the storage barn to the boat ramp in the lake. I was spoiled by the 06 Denali with the 6.2 and the Max Tow package when I was doing highway work. But now, the 2020 SLT I bought came with the standard hitch receiver in the back behind a plastic cover. The owners manual seems to say that it will pull 6300lbs and a max tongue weight of 600. But I am a bit skeptical.

Do you think I am safe just using the standard hitch or should I get a weight distributing hitch just to be sure?
Many Thanks
Marc

shock

Reaction score
I think we need more detail to give you the best advice. Such as:

What is the tongue weight (wet & loaded)?

How much weight is in the vehicle?

What speeds/how aggressively are you driving these two miles?

I’m surprised you are seeing a max tongue weight on the “hitch” (the thing attached to the truck with the square whole for a draw bar insert). Mine says 1000 lb tongue with no mention of weight distribution vs weight carrying and 10,000 lb trailer. As far as I know this is the same part across all trims/packages/models. The Max Tow package in your old one probably added auto-level rear suspension, a brake controller, a two-low range, and a different rear end gear ratio but not a heftier hitch than others of the same vintage.

People tend to look at the sticker on the hitch and think that’s “the number” when in fact they are ignoring all the other numbers (like rear axle carrying weight, tire weight capacity, etc.)

The hitch capacity is rarely the limiting factor in a tow rig. I’d be more worried about suspension, axle, the ball and drawbar capacities, transmission cooling, etc.

With limited info my gut says if this is just a quick/easy jaunt down a country road you’re fine.

Have you hooked it up? I would, and if didn’t look too squatty, I’d probably roll with it.

You may already know, but not all weight distribution systems work with surge brakes. And some with sway avoidance can’t be backed up without disconnecting some stuff.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the manufacturer rated it at 6,300 pounds, it can tow AT LEAST that much.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Shoot I pulled a good sized dump trailer solid full of sod! We’ll over 10,000 lbs (3 pallets @3500lbs a piece +dump trailer) with my Tahoe when she was stock
2 hours or more
Granted that was way more then she liked you had to drive 45 and over bad bumps she would scrub the back tires some!
I think you’ll be fine with the boat especially that short of a distance.
Shit my dad pulls a 23ft sea ox with a net reel in her and she probably weighs that much or more then yours and he pulls it with a 99 single cab v6 sierra with over 200,000 on her.

OP
OP
Printworthy

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think we need more detail to give you the best advice. Such as:

What is the tongue weight (wet & loaded)?

How much weight is in the vehicle?

What speeds/how aggressively are you driving these two miles?

I’m surprised you are seeing a max tongue weight on the “hitch” (the thing attached to the truck with the square whole for a draw bar insert). Mine says 1000 lb tongue with no mention of weight distribution vs weight carrying and 10,000 lb trailer. As far as I know this is the same part across all trims/packages/models. The Max Tow package in your old one probably added auto-level rear suspension, a brake controller, a two-low range, and a different rear end gear ratio but not a heftier hitch than others of the same vintage.

People tend to look at the sticker on the hitch and think that’s “the number” when in fact they are ignoring all the other numbers (like rear axle carrying weight, tire weight capacity, etc.)

The hitch capacity is rarely the limiting factor in a tow rig. I’d be more worried about suspension, axle, the ball and drawbar capacities, transmission cooling, etc.

With limited info my gut says if this is just a quick/easy jaunt down a country road you’re fine.

Have you hooked it up? I would, and if didn’t look too squatty, I’d probably roll with it.

You may already know, but not all weight distribution systems work with surge brakes. And some with sway avoidance can’t be backed up without disconnecting some stuff.
Great input. Thanks. I think the tongue weight is 400-450. It is a V-8 inboard with gas tanks far aft so most of the weight is back there. I go about 45MPH from the barn on two lane.
The Yukon is a stock SLT 5.3 (3:08 Rear) so nothing extra for cooling or leveling. I will be hooking it up soon and will check for squat as you suggest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Printworthy

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the manufacturer rated it at 6,300 pounds, it can tow AT LEAST that much.
I go about 45mph on the two lane. Most of the weight is behind the 2nd trailer axle. (inboard V-8 with 140 gallons of fuel). Thanks for your thoughts, it is reassuring I don't have to get too exotic for that short of a distance.

OP
OP
Printworthy

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shoot I pulled a good sized dump trailer solid full of sod! We’ll over 10,000 lbs (3 pallets @3500lbs a piece +dump trailer) with my Tahoe when she was stock
2 hours or more
Granted that was way more then she liked you had to drive 45 and over bad bumps she would scrub the back tires some!
I think you’ll be fine with the boat especially that short of a distance.
Shit my dad pulls a 23ft sea ox with a net reel in her and she probably weighs that much or more then yours and he pulls it with a 99 single cab v6 sierra with over 200,000 on her.
Based on your experience I should be safe. Thanks. It isn't highway with wind, mountains, or need to pass. I'll recheck the tongue weight and watch for sag or rubbing.
Thanks again. Feel much better.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Based on your experience I should be safe. Thanks. It isn't highway with wind, mountains, or need to pass. I'll recheck the tongue weight and watch for sag or rubbing.
Thanks again. Feel much better.
Yea man one good investment would be a height adjustable hitch like B&M so you can get that tongue weight how you want it but it’s not necessary I just got a 30$ harbor freight special hitch and it gets the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan