2023 Tahoe Premier towing issues, no air ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capt Ed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When towing my 3500lb boat with 480lb tongue weight, I can really tell the boat is back there. It's not swaying and responds well to changes in direction's but the stock suspension feel's too soft with a lot of up and down movements. With my previous tow vehicle, a 2017 Audi Q7, I got very little feedback from the same rig.

Where should I start with add on improvements to lessen the trailer feedback but still retain the smooth ride the Tahoe provides?

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum from Virginia. I’m assuming you don’t want to go down the path of a weight distribution hitch or stiffer rear springs as they’d affect your ride when not towing. You might look at Sumo springs. They’re basically bigger bump stops that take up the added tongue weight keeping your rig level.

15burban

Reaction score
Are those actual weights from a scale or just brochure weights? Not sure about boats but with campers the advertised weights are always lower then what it actually weighs. Even fresh off the showroom floor. Depending on the boat your tongue weight should be lower also 5-10% where yours is almost 14%.

OP
OP
C

Capt Ed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weights are from CAT scales. Every thing I've read says tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of trailer weight. I weighed my rig fully loaded with all my fishing gear and a full tank of gas.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havnt seen much available yet for the new generation, in terms of aftermarket air bags and such. Because of the new design (coilover struts), its going to make it difficult for the aftermarket.

A weight distribution hitch may be your only option at the moment.

Corvette Scott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Denali XL without air ride. I tow an open metal car trailer with a corvette , about 5000# total weight, I do not have a load distribution hitch. I haven't measured tongue weight, but the trailer is level, and the rig is slightly down in the back. I tow about 2500 miles a year and it is a dream, I don't even know the trailer is behind me. The factory brake controller was bad and I replaced it (before the recall came out).

Big John

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When towing my 3500lb boat with 480lb tongue weight, I can really tell the boat is back there. It's not swaying and responds well to changes in direction's but the stock suspension feel's too soft with a lot of up and down movements. With my previous tow vehicle, a 2017 Audi Q7, I got very little feedback from the same rig.

Where should I start with add on improvements to lessen the trailer feedback but still retain the smooth ride the Tahoe provides?
IMG_9876.jpeg
I have a Denali XL without air ride. I tow an open metal car trailer with a corvette , about 5000# total weight, I do not have a load distribution hitch. I haven't measured tongue weight, but the trailer is level, and the rig is slightly down in the back. I tow about 2500 miles a year and it is a dream, I don't even know the trailer is behind me. The factory brake controller was bad and I replaced it (before the recall came out).
We love towing with our 21 premier, trailer around 4K loaded.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an Equalizer hitch. We tow a 7500# GVWR high profile tandem axle travel trailer and it sags like crazy, even with the Equalizer, with no way to add helper springs/bags (shame on you, GM), but it tows like a dream. We traveled through an atmosheric river in Cali, with road signs advocating people don't drive for a few days and the rig was rock solid the whole way, even during panic braking to allow a handyman's pickup and debris to slide all the way across the freeway on its roof right into our path. We have a little wiggle occasionally, but after weathering the storm and never getting more than the wiggle, I no longer worry.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Personally I would bump your tires up when towing to max psi on the tires. This helps tighten things up a bit. The q7 vs the tahoe are a huge difference in suspension balance and feel. The low Center of gravity on the 7 helped make the feel of more planted and the suspension travel also has something to do with that.

You may look into different rear shocks. 480 lbs should not need any kind of equalizer or weight distribution hitch.

Another idea is upgrading the sway bars, this will help the load balance on the rear... plus add some driving fun when unloaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar