Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSE Dad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2023 z71 Tahoe and will be towing something with it for the first time over Labor Day. I'm picking up an old car from my dad and towing it about 3 hours from GA to SC. I'm renting an auto transport trailer from U-Haul and it is equipped with a 4 pin flat wire for the lights, etc. I'm trying to get a checklist for everything I'll need to tow, I need a hitch and the light conversion I presume. Does anyone know what package I need to buy to be compatible with the 4 pin flat wire? I plan to take off the cover later tonight to see what it looks like but just curious if anyone can help who tows a good bit with it already.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2023 z71 Tahoe and will be towing something with it for the first time over Labor Day. I'm picking up an old car from my dad and towing it about 3 hours from GA to SC. I'm renting an auto transport trailer from U-Haul and it is equipped with a 4 pin flat wire for the lights, etc. I'm trying to get a checklist for everything I'll need to tow, I need a hitch and the light conversion I presume. Does anyone know what package I need to buy to be compatible with the 4 pin flat wire? I plan to take off the cover later tonight to see what it looks like but just curious if anyone can help who tows a good bit with it already.
Did your vehicle come with a hitch receiver? If so, I am willing to bet you already have a 4 pin trailer harness connection.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2021 Yukon Denali - and the 4-pin connector is right above the (round) 7-pin connector. Easy to pop bumper hitch cover and take a look. :)

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have a hitch (which I believe is standard) it will have a 4 pin and a 7 pin trailer plug right next to the receiver.
You will need a receiver hitch and a ball (assuming 2 inch but could be 1 7/8 inch; depends on the trailer).

oh.. when you take off the hitch cover, it unsnaps at the top but needs to slip out at the bottom; so don't just crank it off from the bottom as you could tear off the 'fingers' so to speak

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh.. when you take off the hitch cover, it unsnaps at the top but needs to slip out at the bottom; so don't just crank it off from the bottom as you could tear off the 'fingers' so to speak
No, it Unsnaps at the bottom, 2 little latch things, then swing it out about 1-2", then lift up...took me forever the first time to figure it out

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The U-Haul trailer has surge brakes so you don't need a trailer brake controller on your truck. Your Tahoe will have a 7-pin connector next to the hitch and you can buy a 7 to 4 pin adapter at Walmart or some auto parts stores so that the trailer lights and brakes will work on the trailer.

Use Tow/Haul mode if you think the load will be about 5K pounds or more and don't be afraid to drive in 3rd gear if you need the power to traverse any grades. These LS motors are made to rev all day long.

OP
OP
S

SSE Dad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2021 Yukon Denali - and the 4-pin connector is right above the (round) 7-pin connector. Easy to pop bumper hitch cover and take a look. :)
Perfect, yep plan to do that tonight. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

SSE Dad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The U-Haul trailer has surge brakes so you don't need a trailer brake controller on your truck. Your Tahoe will have a 7-pin connector next to the hitch and you can buy a 7 to 4 pin adapter at Walmart or some auto parts stores so that the trailer lights and brakes will work on the trailer.

Use Tow/Haul mode if you think the load will be about 5K pounds or more and don't be afraid to drive in 3rd gear if you need the power to traverse any grades. These LS motors are made to rev all day long.
Great advice, thank you, that's what I was looking for

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it Unsnaps at the bottom, 2 little latch things, then swing it out about 1-2", then lift up...took me forever the first time to figure it out
thanks for the clarification... i remembered it was weird when I did it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar