Towing a rv with a 2019 Tahoe Premier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rugby 39

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So we have the 5.3 6 speed with max tow package, max tow is 8400lbs, tongue weight with WDH 1000lbs. The trailer we are thinking is the Imagine Grand Design 2400BH 5725lbs dry and a 505lbs hitch weight. Before everyone tells me that is dry and not full, will this trailer work for the Tahoe. All opinions will be welcomed.

Last edited:

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just bought a 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L and out trailer is 5300lbs. Our test was to tow up a 10mile mountain grade at 107F ambient and passed with flying colors. And, at 5300lbs it's not even straining the vehicle. For us it wasn't the hp but overheating that made our previous tow vehicle no good as we couldn't go over mountains >60F outside.

Tahoe is basically same frame, engine etc as a Yukon and I'd suggest a sway bar / equalizer hitch of some kind (we use one) but I would guess you'll really enjoy towing with you're Tahoe to at least 7,000lbs.

OP
OP
Rugby 39

Rugby 39

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments and yes we will be using a good WDH. Also does anyone know where to find good clip on tow mirrors, I do not want the ones that have straps. Thank you again.

KSweet

Reaction score
We had a 17 premier 5.3 also w/max tow pkg and hauled a jayco 184BH fully loaded (near your weights) and it felt smooth, but like others said good sway bars make all the difference! Distro hitch + sway bars are a non negotiable with me for hauling. Make sure to test how the bars fit cause I recall having issues with ours wanting to rub my bumper to get them clicked up inside before pulling back to lock and install.

We had two pairs of the clip ons (one on our sierra and one on my tahoe) and I will warn you, they were great while on, but those suckers were so hard to get off I thought I'd be ripping the entire mirror off with it. If you always want them installed, go for it, but if you want them to be easily removable don't get ones like this pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.09.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.09.44 PM.png
    513.3 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Rugby 39

Rugby 39

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We had a 17 premier 5.3 also w/max tow pkg and hauled a jayco 184BH fully loaded (near your weights) and it felt smooth, but like others said good sway bars make all the difference! Distro hitch + sway bars are a non negotiable with me for hauling. Make sure to test how the bars fit cause I recall having issues with ours wanting to rub my bumper to get them clicked up inside before pulling back to lock and install.

We had two pairs of the clip ons (one on our sierra and one on my tahoe) and I will warn you, they were great while on, but those suckers were so hard to get off I thought I'd be ripping the entire mirror off with it. If you always want them installed, go for it, but if you want them to be easily removable don't get ones like this pic.
Thank you noted. And yes main thing I will make sure the dealership we buy the RV from gives us good wdh and sway bars

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we have the 5.3 6 speed with max tow package, max tow is 8400lbs, tongue weight with WDH 1000lbs. The trailer we are thinking is the Imagine Grand Design 2400BH 5725lbs dry and a 505lbs hitch weight. Before everyone tells me that is dry and not full, will this trailer work for the Tahoe. All opinions will be welcomed.
Your biggest hurdle will be winds with high sail area of the trailer and the short wheelbase of your Tahoe. Weight wise, easy peasy with the right setup.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow a 7500 lb (loaded for camping) camper with a 2012 Yukon XL Denali. It does just fine though the rear air suspension is key, in my opinion. I keep at 65 or below 99% of the time and usually limit it to 4th gear and below on the highway. Keeps the transmission happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia