2023 Tahoe Premier towing issues, no air ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trckrhntr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not, yet, towed with my '23. So this is purely speculative.

When you weighed the rig and trailer, was the fuel tank on the boat full? Where is the fuel tank in relation to the trailer axle?

I'm wondering if the fuel level is causing abnormal weighting. Heavier when you head out and lighter when you're returning. Depending on the fuel capacity of the boat, this could be a lot of swing (a gallon of gas weighs about 6.5 pounds).

Also, depending on where the tank is in relation to the axle, the fuel "sloshing" could be changing the center of balance of the trailer. Adding and reducing tongue weight as you accelerate and stop. This would also have an odd feel during braking (a surging).

Again, all just speculation.

BacDoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When towing my 3500lb boat with 480lb tongue weight, I can really tell the boat is back there. It's not swaying and responds well to changes in direction's but the stock suspension feel's too soft with a lot of up and down movements. With my previous tow vehicle, a 2017 Audi Q7, I got very little feedback from the same rig.

Where should I start with add on improvements to lessen the trailer feedback but still retain the smooth ride the Tahoe provides?
I’m surprised that you are having issues towing less than 5000 lbs with your Tahoe Premier. What size engine? Maybe the towing package option is not available on your vehicle but it should still tow that load no problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Capt Ed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m surprised that you are having issues towing less than 5000 lbs with your Tahoe Premier. What size engine? Maybe the towing package option is not available on your vehicle but it should still tow that load no problem.
My Tahoe has the 5.3 engine and is equipped with the Max Trailering System. Since my original post and a lot of fishing trips, I've come to realize the Premier does tow well for what is basically a large grocery hauler. No criticism intended, I like the smooth ride and don't do any serious off-roading.

I'm left with one thing to fix. My head lights were set too high. On low beams and not towing anything, I'd still occasionally get flashed by on-coming drivers. Towing the boat, my rear end drops 1 1/4" and I was constantly getting flashed.

Took it to a local dealer but they over corrected to the point I had to run high beams all the time just to see and no one ever flashed me. Found out they do not have the equipment to aim headlights, just took a guess on adjustment. Have an appointment with my selling dealer and they do have the proper equipment for the job.

Finally, I've made dozens of call and searched the internet for any solution to the rear end drop. I can find nothing.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air suspension or at least rear air bag support is helpful to mandatory if you are towing anything with decent weight. These things are sprung too softly otherwise.....
I tow a 5k Tritoon and without air it would really sag in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar