Lots of sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 418593
So this is the 2021 Yukon with trailer. I am taking it to a trailer place today for the to add “sway” bar. He was saying the distribution bars don’t work because of the independent suspension will continue move up and down trying to level.
Very interesting. I had not thought about the impact of the independent rear suspension.

15burban

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. Nice camper! It could just be the angle of the picture but it looks like the camper is nose high. If the front is higher then the rear on level ground that will also cause excess sway. You want the front of the camper slightly lower then the rear.

15burban

Reaction score
Very interesting. I had not thought about the impact of the independent rear suspension.
Unless they make a stand alone sway control system he will need a weight distribution system. Not sure on the exact specs of these trucks (should say in your owners manual) but usually anything over 500lbs tongue weight you want a weight distribution system otherwise your steering is going to be really light (weight won't be transferred back to the front of the vehicle). I've seen plenty of suvs pulling campers with wd systems and most of them have independent rear suspension. So I'm not buying that the weight distribution bars won't work.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2021 Yukon Denali and I trailer a 7 x 14, 5,300lb trailer with 650lb tongue weight. Here's the thread.....

Using Weight Distribution Hitch - it's been rock solid up to 65mph on freeway. Occasional 70mph passing - no issues.

My experience is the Denali is fine! (Really enjoying it) so it must be you're trailer. In my case, I DIY'ed a cargo trailer and even though the tonque weight is OK and overall weight is well within Yukon specs - I built the trailer with heavy loads on front (kitchen) and rear (garage) and the center is 'light' - which promotes sway!

I'd look to you're trailer loading, tongue weight, and weight distribution hitch for the issue as I'm evidence that a 2021 Yukon can tow very well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

needdirection

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the previous pic with Yukon, I wasn’t on even ground. Here’s the sway bar. the trailer guy said I could put bars on too he doesn’t think it will help.
I really appreciate all the wisdom! Not giving up yet. No offense to truck owners, my preference is an SUV.
0A835828-8478-4541-A26F-FBC7658C1150.jpegHe rode with me to see how it feels. Still some sway. He’s saying the side walls in the tires are too soft! When I left with sway bar (I may ask for my $back.) I was so mad. I have a hard time accepting that this vehicle won’t work. I am not ready to buy a truck but I have been too it’s all about the independent suspension. I appreciate the replies. I will not give up hope.

OP
OP
N

needdirection

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless they make a stand alone sway control system he will need a weight distribution system. Not sure on the exact specs of these trucks (should say in your owners manual) but usually anything over 500lbs tongue weight you want a weight distribution system otherwise your steering is going to be really light (weight won't be transferred back to the front of the vehicle). I've seen plenty of suvs pulling campers with wd systems and most of them have independent rear suspension. So I'm not buying that the weight distribution bars won't work.
The new hitch for the sway bar has the option of putting the distribution bars on too.

15burban

Reaction score
I would try a different place, small town rv places I've found are a lot better then the bigger ones. Just like car dealerships. There's good ones and there's bad ones. Usually more bad ones lol.

At 5700lb dry weight with 12% tongue weight thats roughly 700lbs added on just the rear axle. So without the wd bars on thats somewhat a lot of weight on just the rear tires depending on what tires you have and will add to sway/squirminess if that's a word lol of the rear end of your vehicle itself. If I had to guess since they always under estimate camper weights I would guess without being loaded for a trip your tongue weight is probably closer to 900lbs. Also when towing you will want to make sure your tires are aired up more then regular day driving. I would put the bars back on and check tire pressures on all the tires, your campers too and take if for a spin. The best is to get it weighed.

15burban

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but what camper do you have a forest river 250fks? If so the specs on it are 775lb tongue weight. So you're easily over 900lbs once you figure in battery, propane tanks etc. Without the wd bars on you will be wearing out rear suspension parts a lot faster.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new hitch for the sway bar has the option of putting the distribution bars on too.
I would *definitely* go with weight distribution. Without it, my 650lb tonque weight brought the rear down (I think 2") - you can measure but it also caused my front to pop-up 1". It puts all the tongue weight directly on the rear and the front popus up leading to less sure steering. I don't believe it's the 'sway bars' that helped me so much as the weight distribution aspect!. Do both.

Weight distribution will push that weight forward and help keep the rear up higher and front down lower on the road - makes HUGE difference.

There are several WDH (weight distribution hitch) youtubes / explanations that might help you. I didn't go 'the cheapest' but lower on the recommended scale with a Blue Ox Trac Pro - https://www.blueox.com/trackpro-weight-distributing-hitch/ because this type let's me backup as well. (Some of the cheaper ones dont' support backing up)

This Blue Ox Trac Pro absolutely stabilized my towing of 5300lb trailer and they make even better ones if you're willing to spend more $

And to reiterate - the vehicle is not the issue in my opinion. A truck wouldn't do any better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia