Tow Truck Ripped Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not a question for your average body shop IMO. I would be wanting to hear from someone who does frame repair, a body shop with a frame rack.

By my eye, given that it is in a bend on the frame, that is already a natural weak point. I would not say it were intentional on the part of the rollback driver... those winches have a lot of pulling power and it's easy to go too far on accident. Certainly negligence, though.

To me, the frame is torn. The tear needs to be cut out, the end of the tear radiused, and a plate welded over the section to reinforce. A lot of shops won't weld on frames anymore, would rather get you (or someone) to pay them for a frame replacement, but this is a pretty simple repair. Look for a welding fab shop to do the structural repair and then take it to whoever the dealer recommends to get the factory undercoating re-done in the repaired area. That, or have the whole undercarriage re-coated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Back in the day, I did my fair share of towing. I wonder if the driver used the J hooks or the T hooks, but either way, when you set tension, you just need to hunker down the suspension as little as 1" and all is good and that may well be the thinnest frame gauge I have ever seen. Bet the guy was high. Idiot.

509Yukon

Reaction score
I've seen a fairly similar situation first hand with another brand. In the case of this vehicle, two front of frame brackets which housed an electronic component were bent while at the dealer. The repair was fairly straight forward, unbolt the brackets and bolt on new ones. These brackets are in fact a frame component, listed as such on the parts database and repair time guide. You see where this is going...

The body shop made this very simple fix with the repair order written as a repair of "frame damage" which was then picked up by CARFAX and it will be forever reported as frame damage. Another question then becomes is "frame damage" a trigger for a branded title in your state? Lastly, is a frame damage disclosure by owner specifically called out in the boiler plate when you sign your trade-in paperwork at a dealer?....and many smart dealers have such clauses because this is a common issue affecting a vehicle's value.

In the case which I'm referring to, the customer successfully sued the responsible dealer under a claim of "Diminution in Value" as the vehicle was now forever plagued by the term "frame damage" within the resale market, no matter how minor or how easily the repair was made.

In your case, you now have a vehicle with life long frame damage, repaired or not, no matter how insignificant. I'd gather a full frame replacement would mitigate any future disclosure but I would assume the CARFAX reporting of that repair would still haunt the vehicle which would possibly create diminution in value within the resale market.

While I'm not an attorney and just play one on TV, I would suggest a documented disclosure by you to any future buyer to hopefully protect you from a future claim by the new buyer of your failure to disclose frame damage. Regardless of the merits to any claim they may have, you will have time and cost expended to deal with it.

Best solution, get a lawyer.

Last edited:

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I stated in other post OP has this is Dealer GM problem, they sent roll back to retrieve vehicle it's their problem needs to demand new vehicle or buy back those holes and slots are used to straighten frame that are racked from collisions I would bet frame is tweaked with that much pull put on frame. Bad situation but need to get with service manager to get GM regional manager involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu