Tow Truck Ripped Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really agree that it sucks for you with what happened, but I don't think it has cause any damage to the frame. The tear happened in an added support bracket for the rear way bar and already had a large hole in it for maybe a lift point or drainage. I would tend to agree with the first shop and just flatten it out and add some rust preventive paint or something. I wouldn't want to open up a can of worms in a claim that may cost you on the resale value.

Odii

Reaction score
At the end of the day, I don’t care if it has affected the structural integrity of the vehicle or not. Their actions caused your vehicle to be damaged. They should have insurance as well as should be bonded to be able to operate as a towing company.
yeah this!

wow that sucks, sorry to hear about that - hope to hear the outcome

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reason I say to turn it over to insurance is because they may end up totaling it out and you get full compensation.
(that's a big maybe)
so what I would also maybe do is go to a bodyshop that is a certified adjuster and just ask them what they "think" the case would be without actually opening a case. just ask there opinion. have them look at it and see what they say.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Premiums go up when someone hits you and you're not at fault, don't see this being different.
What kind of sketchy insurance company do you use? I've had 4 different cars run into by idiot drivers and got paid by their insurance company each time and never had any impact on my own insurance rates. Maybe their premiums went up but mine certainly did not

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of sketchy insurance company do you use? I've had 4 different cars run into by idiot drivers and got paid by their insurance company each time and never had any impact on my own insurance rates. Maybe their premiums went up but mine certainly did not
exactly I have been told directly "your rate is not going up" which is exactly how it is supposed to be when you are not at fault.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In our state if your insurance pays you will lose discounts and or rate increase that's what I never understood about paying premium for uninsured motorist.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I will save the long backstory, but I had to have my 2022 Yukon towed in with a failed lifter. In the process, the tow driver ripped through my frame on both sides from hooking up the rear of the truck on a flatbed and then tightening them too much on the winch. GM roadside, which is not run by GM, is a nightmare to deal with so I went to two body shops to get the prices started. The first said it should not affect frame integrity and could just be cleaned up for looks. Another body shop said the entire frame needed to be replaced. Any current or former body shop guys with an opinion?

It’s going to be a fun new year sorting this out with GM roadside.
In this link from owner's manual page 372 shows how to get vehicle on flat bed which shows holes in front portion of frame where there are specific holes for loading.The pictures OP shows that it was pulled on from rear not as manual states.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Premiums go up when someone hits you and you're not at fault, don't see this being different.
If your insurance does that, you need different insurance....but in most cases, someone else is at fault? My insurance isn't involved unless the other party won't pay or other insurance is jacking me around.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not going to hurt anything, anything that is actual structure will not damage that easily. You do NOT want your frame replaced, trust me. The truck will NEVER be the same. If it bothers you that much, just trade the truck in because that’s what you’ll be doing if you have the frame replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19