Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought pressure in the system, in addition to raising the boiling point of the coolant, ensured there was no room for air pockets to form. So, wouldn't lower pressure allow warmer coolant temps?

Also, if the actual temp is fine but the sensor was reading low, is it possible the PCM would adjust fuel and spark erroneously for cooler temps, leading to unnecessarily longer warm-up times and rich exhaust?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I thought pressure in the system, in addition to raising the boiling point of the coolant, ensured there was no room for air pockets to form. So, wouldn't lower pressure allow warmer coolant temps?

Also, if the actual temp is fine but the sensor was reading low, is it possible the PCM would adjust fuel and spark erroneously for cooler temps, leading to unnecessarily longer warm-up times and rich exhaust?
Makes sense.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ECT is a two-wire thermistor, so you can measure the resistance between the two pins. Here's what I believe to be the correct chart for NBS ECTs:

1643413302000.png

Also this video might help:

EDIT: you can also, on a cold engine, compare the IAT temp with the ECT temp; they should be very close to each other, say 5°F or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Have you compared the Tech 2 coolant temp reading with what's on the gauge?

Is the surge tank cap good, does it hold pressure?
I did replace the coolant cap recently, around the same time as I was checking the plugs. The truck doesn't get driven much anymore, so it wasn't noticed right away. I'm getting a replacement for the new cap. Hopefully it's just a defective cap. Thx @Fless for helping again!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To add, if you test the resistance and compare it to the chart temps, be sure the sender is in liquid, and know that liquid's temp. Testing it in air may not be accurate.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also wouldn't hurt to toss a scanner on it to compare the IAT and ECT temps. Quick read!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One other random thought -- think about renting the free cooling system pressure test kit from your local auto parts store, and manually pressurize the system. The kit might even have a way to test the surge tank cap.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
One other random thought -- think about renting the free cooling system pressure test kit from your local auto parts store, and manually pressurize the system. The kit might even have a way to test the surge tank cap.
Hopefully I can mess with it this weekend. We're supposedly getting a "Bomb Cyclone" snow storm coming. But the range will be anywhere from a dusting to 18 inches. I guess we're gonna see who's right later on tonight.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I can mess with it this weekend. We're supposedly getting a "Bomb Cyclone" snow storm coming. But the range will be anywhere from a dusting to 18 inches. I guess we're gonna see who's right later on tonight.
I was just coming over here to ask you about that. I saw it on the news. That looks like a helluva storm, lots of snow and super cold too, single digits, plus wind. Hoping for the best for ya Tony.