OR VietVet Build thread for 2006 Yukon Denali XL-Cancelled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, pulled #2 plug today and I see plugs stamped 41-985 and 12571164 and has the triangle stamp on the top of the plug. I used to think that the stamp on the top meant they were original plugs but now I am unsure. RA calls for 41-962 Double Platinum plugs. They do not show an iridium option. Also, if I do a search for 41-985 plugs, they do not come up at all on RA, Amazon, Genuine GM Parts, GM Parts Direct or Auto Zone. That tells me, I am assuming here, that the 41-985 is the OE plugs and the 41-962 is the updated and current double platinum plug. Does anyone here know for sure? Is the Iridium plug the 41-110?

I crawled under the truck and found no leaks at either diff, axle seals, transmission and transfer case. I did find a seepage leak of coolant at the water pump. I did also see oil drop on bottom of oil filter but is coming from above and at back of engine. I could not see if was valve covers or intake from under the vehicle but did see a driver's side oil leak at side of the valve cover. I will just go ahead and tear it down and do the knock sensors and the valve cover gaskets at same time and am debating right now about plugs and wires, till I hear from you guys about the 41-985 question. I already knew, from looking from above, that the transmission and oil cooler lines are seeping fluid. The oil leak is definitely from above and not where the oil cooler lines attach at the engine.

View attachment 412889View attachment 412890View attachment 412891View attachment 412892View attachment 412893

I'd bet money that the oil cooler gasket is leaking. Have one on hand for when you change the oil.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The brown on the plugs surely makes 'em look original. Also, and I can't be precise from a pic, but that gap looks large- indicative of wear from higher mileage.
Agree completely. I only did the one plug because that boot was a son of a *b*i*t*c*h* getting it off that plug. I twisted both ways for 2-3 minutes and never did feel it break loose. I eventually got some long pointed curved end needle nose pliers and pulled on the metal heat deflector/shield and while twisting and pulling, it broke loose. I am thinking that there is a 50/50 chance the wires are original too. Wild guess or no grease when put new wires on.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Super easy replacement. Having the oil drained out of the system makes it a little cleaner. Be careful to not overtighten the bolts- they're going into aluminum.
Yea, done them before on other vehicles I have worked on here.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless an owner before you modified it, you won’t have a cabin air filter installed from the factory. They did away with that in 2003 I think….. there’s a spot for one but no cut opening in the plastic behind the HVAC under the glove box. If someone before you did the mod the tell tale sign would be a cut opening into plastic in the spot for the filter.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Unless an owner before you modified it, you won’t have a cabin air filter installed from the factory. They did away with that in 2003 I think….. there’s a spot for one but no cut opening in the plastic behind the HVAC under the glove box. If someone before you did the mod the tell tale sign would be a cut opening into plastic in the spot for the filter.

Yea, I saw that and have not looked yet but if has the retrofit done, I will replace.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Was able to look up the exhaust manifold bolts sizing yesterday. 8mm x 1.25 x 30mm long. Went to AZ last night and they had a pack of 4 for $3.99 minus my military discount. Plus, I had some money still on my rewards account and I walked out of there with no money out of my pocket. I buy there all the time with customer money and that builds my reward account money. Plus, I charge for my time to drive to AZ and pick up parts and the drive back.

I was only missing one manifold bolt in the middle area, close to #6 cylinder. Was not broken off. Will install that today and will be pulling wheels to inspect brakes and will be checking bearings and hubs.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For explanation to this Cancelled Build Thread, see that in the Suburban-XL section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts