My Fashionably Late 03 Denali XL Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The steering wheel swap was successful and almost too easy (1 bolt). The new wheel looks so much better and ties in perfectly with the rest of the dash. It almost feels like driving a different truck, and it really would if I had done everything at once instead of trickling it in, but you all know how projects go, they tend to drag but that keeps it fun and interesting. I was a bit concerned that the wood on the wheel would clash with the dark Denali wood, but I think it came out classy.

I will still need to swap out the buttons since the only one that lights up is the “seek” switch but thankfully I already have a set I ordered JIC. Depending on how cooperative they are coming out I may end up taking the wheel back off to swap them. The new ones are from fleabay and supposedly have white LED backlighting so we will see how that goes.

View attachment 413409

View attachment 413410
Looks good.
Did your old wheel also have the buttons?

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good.
Did your old wheel also have the buttons?
Thanks! Yes it has buttons but the paint is all flaked off of the radio control ones. I originally got the new set to replace them but then I jumped on that wheel when I came across it

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes it has buttons but the paint is all flaked off of the radio control ones. I originally got the new set to replace them but then I jumped on that wheel when I came across it
I was just curious. You can add the buttons to a truck that originally didn't come equipped, just gotta swap in the correct clockspring. I should do the swap myself one day.

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew you could swap an 03+ into a 00-02 but I didn’t know you could gain functionality with just a clock spring!

Maybe I’ll post my old wheel in the classifieds in case another member could use it and just ask them to cover the shipping.

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave the Denali a much needed cleaning today. Heading to a Veterans Day car show tomorrow morning with the Camaro so I figured I’d make sure the family hauler is presentable as well. I have yet to drive it since I did the steering wheel swap, so it still feels like a different vehicle sitting in it.

IMG_2841.jpeg

IMG_2839.jpeg

IMG_2842.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan