Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Turn the wheel all the way to the right.
Back the three bolts out to one or two turns past flush with the face.
Use a punch and hammer on the bolts in a circular pattern 1-2-3. "An air chisel would be your friend now"
Drive it out of there!

You would ruin the backing plate with the amount of heat you need anyway. A chisel between the bearing and knuckle probably won't work and you will ruin the backing plate.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the truck for a drive today and I heard a very low grinding noise. I thought it was the ds cv axle finally giving up the ghost. The boot has been torn for a few years. Got out and looked underneath, nothing jumped out at me, so I said F it. Drove it about 40 miles round trip. Seemed to be getting louder as I was getting closer to home. Got out and looked at the wheel and noticed the outer edge of the rotor was getting a little scored, so I thought maybe something with the brakes on that side. Get home and take everything apart. View attachment 352350
I started moving the axle around and it started raining these bearings.View attachment 352351
The rotor doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking I might be able to slap the brakes back together without having to clean up the rotor. Suggestions on that?
There's just a little bit of play.

This is when I put the wheel back on. Think there's 3 lugs holding it with them tight.

Holy s/hit bro! DAM/N!!!!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought these for nothing. View attachment 352900
The center of the hub separated, but the hub end piece is stuck. Not even budging. Beat it with a mini sledge--no dice. View attachment 352901View attachment 352902View attachment 352903
View attachment 352904
Axle is out.View attachment 352905
Would heat help to get the back end off the spindle? Any suggestions or ideas to get it off?

Dude why are the bolts still in the knuckle? They need to come out. Get some Diablo blades on a sawsall and start slicing that bearing housing up. 1 or 2 good cuts should make enough space for it to collapse in and free itself from the bore. Wish I was there to help.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Dude why are the bolts still in the knuckle? They need to come out. Get some Diablo blades on a sawsall and start slicing that bearing housing up. 1 or 2 good cuts should make enough space for it to collapse in and free itself from the bore. Wish I was there to help.
I hope he took the bolts out...

The air chisel trick works slick. Scouts Honor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove