Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
pretty sure you can pop out the old bearings and just press new ones in. ive heard more of crank mains being align honed.

Little more involved than pop em out and pop em back in. Started typing an explanation of cam bearing replacement, but I don’t have time for that. Don’t take it the wrong way, I’m not being facetious. It’s involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little more involved than pop em out and pop em back in. Started typing an explanation of cam bearing replacement, but I don’t have time for that. Don’t take it the wrong way, I’m not being facetious. It’s involved.

Yep, removing the rotating assembly is the only way I know of doing it.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might be able to get em up past the crank . take the grill and rad out too.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Noooo!!! You can’t get rid of the hoe. Think of all you’ve put into it!
If possible, I'd probably--maybe--drive it til it eventually fails. F* it!
but a new cam and bearing install is far cheaper then even the crappiest beater you might have to pick up. and you know this trucks history. used cars all need work, why they are being sold most of the time.
True.
If cam bearings are spun , unfortunately the engine needs to come out and be line bored, at least that’s what I understand. But Tony, have they even determined what’s going on for sure or are they guessing? It seems to me that you would have had more than lifter noise if you had spun cam bearings and there’s zero oil getting to the valve train. I’m no expert though, just still hoping for the best buddy.
I agree. Pretty sure he's just guessing. I'm hoping he's wrong about the damage tho.
This diagnosis raises more questions than answers.
Did they put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it?
Did it have oil pressure but still nothing at valve train?
If no pressure, that’s why the new pump, what determined a cam bearing?
I see far more issues with lifters than cam bearings. Not saying it’s not, not trying to make you second guess your guy, he’s your guy for a reason.
Word of advise, take a sample of the oil and send it off to Blackstone Labs. They will email you the data, tell you what’s in it and what the failure most likely is depending on the materials found in oil.
Blackstone-labs.com

He's my guy cuz he's a friend, and does things cheap for me. He can R'R stuff all day long--I have faith in him with that, but to truly diagnose complicated in depth issues? I don't have 100% faith in his skills. I'm not saying he doesn't know his stuff--he is good, but not great--I think he has to guess sometimes, and comparing the info you guys are giving me compared to what he's saying--I think he's guessing. Also as a friend, he's cheap-- what he does for me, and he does let me pay him off slowly on the labor if I don't have it all. So.....I'm gonna have him do the oil pump and the lifters. I'm hoping this'll cure the issue. In the absolute worse case scenario of complete motor failure, I'll try to get a stock 5.3/6.0, and put a stock tune on it.

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i"ll be honest. If my burb was cleaner and didn't have the amount of rust that it had, I would've kept it and put a third engine in it. It's worth saving if it's relatively clean but ultimately that's your decision. Up until the day that the second engine in my burb decided to spin a rod bearing, it ran great and never left me stranded

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i"ll be honest. If my burb was cleaner and didn't have the amount of rust that it had, I would've kept it and put a third engine in it. It's worth saving if it's relatively clean but ultimately that's your decision. Up until the day that the second engine in my burb decided to spin a rod bearing, it ran great and never left me stranded

I had a lifter lock up and scrub the cam in my ‘07 at 270K and do not regret tearing it down and replacing everything. My wife and I actually regret trading it in for a ‘08. Should have kept it longer and tried for another 100K.

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a lifter lock up and scrub the cam in my ‘07 at 270K and do not regret tearing it down and replacing everything. My wife and I actually regret trading it in for a ‘08. Should have kept it longer and tried for another 100K.
It had 276k on it and was really trying to get it to 300k

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
What have I missed in this place in the time I was gone Toneh?