Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never even heard of an LS engine oil pump completely failing. Also I don’t see how only one side of the system can fail, but Im no expert on the routing of the oil in our engines. I would say it’s time to pull the oil pump and see wtf is up, unless the filter is completely blocked.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW are there any part numbers on that stuff? And were those valve springs dual and pushrods hardened because it doesn’t say that. They sure should have been. Sorry for the shit you’re going through Tony.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have the oiling system fail on only one side of the motor? Buddy removed the ds vc and was revving it--no oil was being pumped. He didn't check the ps yet. Is that possible to even happen? Got it up to 2000 rpms. He thinks the hv --GM Performance--oil pump has failed causing damage to the lifters.
screenshot_20191022-212442_gallery-jpg.233101

has he not hooked up a manual o/p gauge to the block yet? or yanked the other valve cover?

only way i could see one bank being dry is if theres a few blocked up oil passageways.

or theres zero oil pressure. and in that case you'd hear a lot of rocker tap followed by rod knock if driven. good thing you parked it asap.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have no idea about what is going on with it. I'm not even sure about the parts that were put in during the engine upgrades. Supposedly they were legit parts, but it never occured to me to even ask about part numbers, if they were hardened, or who even made them. Idk man, I'm just really down about the whole situation. I'm gonna see him tomorrow, so hopefully he'll have some news for me. Thx for all the good vibes coming this way guys.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea about what is going on with it. I'm not even sure about the parts that were put in during the engine upgrades. Supposedly they were legit parts, but it never occured to me to even ask about part numbers, if they were hardened, or who even made them. Idk man, I'm just really down about the whole situation. I'm gonna see him tomorrow, so hopefully he'll have some news for me. Thx for all the good vibes coming this way guys.
It will get figured out man. Hey, after the hell you went through fixing your transmission, this will be a cake walk!

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
No way your gonna get oil to only one side.
Couple things come to mind.
1) I know some filter don’t have an anti drain back valve. Could have lost prime. Corrective action- loosen filter and have someone start engine to see if you have oil flowing right away or if it takes a minute.
2) oil pan gasket. Pan gasket has o-rings built in that feeds filter inlet and outlet. Verify oil pan bolts are tight and didn’t back out. If they are loose and still no pressure after tightening- could have blown out o-ring seal on pan gasket.
3) camshaft thrust plate. I’ve only seen this once but guy forgot to tighten down cam thrust plate, says he did but must have backed out [emoji849], no oil pressure to lifters.
4) blown out plug on block but that one would be pretty obvious
5) bad pump. Shit happens. Can’t rule it out. I would think your idiot light would have come on and you would have seen it. Low or no pressure on passage coming off pump would be seen on gauge or idiot light. If you have pressure on gauge and no oil coming out the pushrods, that points to thrust plate. I’m sure he will find it. Might just be something stupid. Did he see any traces of rockers getting oil or is it like “holy shit man, this thing hasn’t been getting oil up here this whole time”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157