Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Everything’s gonna be OK Tony. Just need to sort this out.
Thx Mark, I'm hoping he's smart enough to figure it out asap
It will get figured out man. Hey, after the hell you went through fixing your transmission, this will be a cake walk!
So true Sam, that took FOREVER!
No way your gonna get oil to only one side.
Couple things come to mind.
1) I know some filter don’t have an anti drain back valve. Could have lost prime. Corrective action- loosen filter and have someone start engine to see if you have oil flowing right away or if it takes a minute.
2) oil pan gasket. Pan gasket has o-rings built in that feeds filter inlet and outlet. Verify oil pan bolts are tight and didn’t back out. If they are loose and still no pressure after tightening- could have blown out o-ring seal on pan gasket.
3) camshaft thrust plate. I’ve only seen this once but guy forgot to tighten down cam thrust plate, says he did but must have backed out [emoji849], no oil pressure to lifters.
4) blown out plug on block but that one would be pretty obvious
5) bad pump. Shit happens. Can’t rule it out. I would think your idiot light would have come on and you would have seen it. Low or no pressure on passage coming off pump would be seen on gauge or idiot light. If you have pressure on gauge and no oil coming out the pushrods, that points to thrust plate. I’m sure he will find it. Might just be something stupid. Did he see any traces of rockers getting oil or is it like “holy shit man, this thing hasn’t been getting oil up here this whole time”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thx Jim. I'm not sure how far he's gotten. I was trying not to bother him while he tried to work it out. Unfortunately my oil pressure gauge has been pinned for months. Sensor went bad and I never changed it. I'm def going to show him your post, thank you.
edit: posted the same image as Jim. hope the chart helps.
Thx Joel for the effort :)

Last edited:

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang in there Tony , I feel your pain. Just had to order new rods , a piston , new oil pump for the race car. Tried a new nitrous ( more like added another 150 shot on top of the 250 I was already spraying).

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hang in there Tony , I feel your pain. Just had to order new rods , a piston , new oil pump for the race car. Tried a new nitrous ( more like added another 150 shot on top of the 250 I was already spraying).
Just ordered a Melling HV pump. He told me his buddy came by--who builds and races LS motors-- and said it most likely has spun cam bearings, and even changing the oil pump, the motor will still take a dump. Idk......Screenshot_20191025-092729_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Melling M295HV Stock Replacement Type High Volume Oil Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQ0WWV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0GVSDb16Q35JG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but a new cam and bearing install is far cheaper then even the crappiest beater you might have to pick up. and you know this trucks history. used cars all need work, why they are being sold most of the time.
If cam bearings are spun , unfortunately the engine needs to come out and be line bored, at least that’s what I understand. But Tony, have they even determined what’s going on for sure or are they guessing? It seems to me that you would have had more than lifter noise if you had spun cam bearings and there’s zero oil getting to the valve train. I’m no expert though, just still hoping for the best buddy.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If cam bearings are spun , unfortunately the engine needs to come out and be line bored, at least that’s what I understand. But Tony, have they even determined what’s going on for sure or are they guessing? It seems to me that you would have had more than lifter noise if you had spun cam bearings and there’s zero oil getting to the valve train. I’m no expert though, just still hoping for the best buddy.

pretty sure you can pop out the old bearings and just press new ones in. ive heard more of crank mains being align honed.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
This diagnosis raises more questions than answers.
Did they put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it?
Did it have oil pressure but still nothing at valve train?
If no pressure, that’s why the new pump, what determined a cam bearing?
I see far more issues with lifters than cam bearings. Not saying it’s not, not trying to make you second guess your guy, he’s your guy for a reason.
Word of advise, take a sample of the oil and send it off to Blackstone Labs. They will email you the data, tell you what’s in it and what the failure most likely is depending on the materials found in oil.
Blackstone-labs.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhefner

Latest posts