Thinking about replacing windshield myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I begin, how much of a pain is this? Can I expect to remove the trim pieces in reusable condition? How are they held in?
Since I have some old electric guitar strings, I plan on using one of those to cut thru the sealant/adhesive.

Any of you who have tackled this job run into other problems?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won’t cut it with guitar strings. Check out some videos. I used to do auto glass and I wouldn’t attempt it without a few hundred dollars of the proper tools. And if you don’t do it correct, it can end up really hurting you in an accident, it’s a part of the structure. You can get it done cheap, probably for not much more than your cost of the glass since the shops get a huge discount which you won’t.

Sean James

Reaction score
Like rocket man says! I've done it twice. Watched the youtube videos, even watched one guy who screwed it up and left it in screwed up. Both times I did it were a pain in the ASS. Screwed up the first time and had to re-do it. Then had to use some black silicone to fix a tiny leak. Came out o.k. the second time, but just o.k. I knew I could have done a better job, but the wify was getting way testy after holding, lifting, moving, pulling, and sweating.

Drive around and find a glass shop that has no customers at the time, doesn't hurt to ask for a deal when they are slow. They can do it fast, and right, and it's well worth the C-note...believe me. I guess after 10 or 12 times, and with the right tools it gets easy, but between the rope burn, lifting, pulling, bending, scratching things, and dripping sweat all over everything, I'll never do it again!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive done it with guitar string im not musically inclined so i dont know what gauge the wire means but it was pretty thin. ive also used fishing line but ive one done it twice being broke as a joke. f that sh** i dont touch windows anymore and mine went back in without a problem. no leaks no cracks but it is a serious pain and i suggest just having someone do it. on a side note i was repairing the windshield seal lip on a 94 suburban i used to have. i paid one of the techs 40 bucks to come to my house and cut the window out for me. once i was done with the repairs i had them come back and put in a new windshield.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As quick and reasonable as SafeLite is on these I'd never do one myself. You can also find discount codes when you schedule the appointment online for another +/-20% off.

Exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd