Thinking about replacing windshield myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 throw a brick through it and tell insurance it fell off a truck
might as well just pay safelite to replace it that point once you tack on the deductible depending on the insurance.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my windshield on my 01 Suburban replaced by Safelite auto glass. Total cost out the door was about $160 after a discount and some haggling since I actually could have had another shop here do it for $150.
As far as replacing it yourself, it's a HUGE hassle. I've never replaced a front windshield, but I DID replace a rear windshield (big rear window) on a 1990 Chevy Cavalier. That was my first car, and that's how I started to learn to work on vehicles myself. The rear window shattered from a loud ass stereo system (yes, I was young and thought loud music was cool) and I couldn't afford to have a shop replace it at the time. I was quoted over $350 for that window. But there was a "U-PULL-IT" Junkyard an hour or so away that sold rear windows for only $25. So I made the trip out there and removed two of them. The first one shattered while trying to remove it, so I was a bit more careful with the second. (Good thing they actually had TWO Cavaliers in the yard!) I took a tip from a worker at the yard. I cut a hood release cable off a car and slid the braided metal cable out of the sheath. I used that cable to cut the adhesive on the window. It took two people and it was a severe pain in the ass, but we finally got it done. Installing it wasn't terribly difficult, other than making sure it was centered in the opening. I put some wood shims along the bottom and sides to keep it in place until it dried, then I glued the trim on afterwards.
I also helped a buddy of mine remove a front windshield from a 80's Monte Carlo at that same junkyard. He didn't install it himself though, he paid a local glass shop $75 to install it. So $100 for a used windshield installed is still a pretty decent deal in my opinion.

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. Sounds unanimous that I should leave this up to those who do this for a living. I got a quote from Safelite for $340 so I thought I would research DIY. Guess I bite the bullet and open my wallet.

jeffsyukon

Reaction score
Personally I would pay someone to do a windshield. I watched a safelite tech replace my windshield and it looked like a PITA. Lots of opportunity to damage something including your new glass or there is potential for leaks down the road. I do most repairs on my cars myself including ac work. Windshield replacement, leave it to a pro. There are some jobs that are worth paying the labor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. Sounds unanimous that I should leave this up to those who do this for a living. I got a quote from Safelite for $340 so I thought I would research DIY. Guess I bite the bullet and open my wallet.
Get some more quotes- that’s way high. I just got one done in my 08 Silverado for $200, and they did it in my driveway while I was at work. They’ll come to your work too. It was an independent shop. Safelite wanted about $320 at their shop.

UMDSmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I worked for safelite as a mobile pro for a few years. Removing it is actually the easy part. Setting a larger windshield by yourself, after putting the proper bead of urethane (which we applied heated using an electric caulk gun), is fairly tricky. Some vehicles had stops, some didn't, but if you didn't get it perfect, you had air noise or leaks. If you messed up on the urethane, you had a HUGE mess. It does NOT come out of clothes, or auto upholstery. I got out of the industry way back in 2004, and thank goodness. Now there are too many gasketless windows. Gaskets were a god send as they hid any scratches we put on the pinchweld area. I've done my share of GMT800 tahoes and such, but nothing after 2004. I will say that the old Savannah vans were some of the hardest vehicles to do solo. Tahoe windshields weren't as hard to set as they aren't too tall.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a huge favor and leave it to a professional. If done wrong you can have wind noise and water leaks or it could even separate from the truck if not prepped correctly.

I wouldn’t recommend Safelite’s brand of glass, it isn’t very good quality. I only use Pilkington as I’ve been told by multiple glass guys that they’re the best outside of OEM. And my experience with other brands hasn’t been that great, they chip easier and the wipers don’t work as well even though I only use OE wipers.

I always use local guys with good reputations. I’ve never paid more than $200 for a windshield that didn’t have something like Rainsense or HUD.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Like everyone else has said, let someone with the tools and experience do it. I do my own work when possible but I also know when to peel some Benjamins out and pay someone else to do it. The OLD windshields weren't too bad. Some bar soap and whittled down Popsicle sticks would do the job. In the 70's, they started to glue them in with butyl strips.

Say you decide to replace it yourself, first get the glass. Like others said, you'll pay more for just the glass. Drop it and you buy another. Now, get the old glass out. Figure how the trim is on and remove it. Remove the wiper blades. Remove the inner mounts for your mirror and other things GM puts in there. Now get a windshield removal kit which will have slim picks and piano wire. The picks will slide the wire through then you need to have a handle on both ends. I use a hair dryer (NOT a heat gun) to soften the strip to cut it. Cut it smooth to make it seal good when you put the new one in. By the way, you have a helper for all this as you won't have the little installation arm the shops use. Use a couple of big suction cups to hold it while you remove it. Eventually, you'll get it out. Now you have to get rid of the old glass. Now you need to smooth the old gasket for a good seal and put the new seal on it. It MUST be smooth with no gaps, that's harder than it looks.Gently lower the new glass in place. Hope you get it right as that seal strip is STICKY. Now you get to reinstall the mirror and wiring on the inside, the trim around the outside and get the wiper arms back on and aligned right. Let it sit a bit to seal good then test for leaks and hope there aren't any.

Otherwise, check with your insurance and maybe lay out some bucks and not have any cuts, smashed fingers or anything else. Just look at the "Babe of the Day" thread on your phone while someone else does all the work.

jcb2

Reaction score
Before I begin, how much of a pain is this? Can I expect to remove the trim pieces in reusable condition? How are they held in?
Since I have some old electric guitar strings, I plan on using one of those to cut thru the sealant/adhesive.

Any of you who have tackled this job run into other problems?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Personally I wouldn’t do it myself. Last year I called Safelite and they arranged to come to my house. The guy had a special frame that allowed him to do the job in about an hour. He was on time, left no mess at all and the price was very reasonable.

jcb2

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn’t do it myself. Last year I called Safelite and they arranged to come to my house. The guy had a special frame that allowed him to do the job in about an hour. He was on time, left no mess at all and the price was very reasonable.
I forgot to mention that I have the necessary tool to cut out the old windshield but it’s still not worth it. Like others have written-Let the experts do it.