There are just some days I wish I didn't turn wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like near the oil filter on that V6: https://www.troublecodes.net/sensors/toyota-1gr-fe-4-0l/

I think this is the same engine, but not sure. Somewhat blurry video below but it shows where it is. I don't condone his choice of removal tools for this purpose. ;)

Everyone knows vice grips are for holding parts together, not loosening bolts! VGG…
And maybe clean it up before removing the sensor..?
o_O

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get the engine type from the label under the hood, that might help with a search. The link I posted was for the 1GR-FE engine.
Yes, it is a 1GR-FE engine. I did double check that. Thanks though.

I did look all around the oil filter housing and still no luck. Instead of the spin on oil filter up high on the driver's side, it is a cartridge type that is down low and toward the front.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it is a 1GR-FE engine. I did double check that. Thanks though.

I did look all around the oil filter housing and still no luck. Instead of the spin on oil filter up high on the driver's side, it is a cartridge type that is down low and toward the front.

It'll be interesting to see where it actually is.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I finished all the other work on it: De-grease engine, timing cover timing chain tensioner access gasket, PCV valve, rear wiper blade, replace both washer nozzles, repair passenger side running board sag, clean throttle body......and then a restart after all work and sitting overnight drip drying after degrease and spray off. Had CEL but ran fine and pulled codes: P0014, P0430, P0500 and P0553......made note of all of them and cleared codes and restarted. No CEL and ran fine and road tested and nothing came back. had to be degrease and wash down related. He needed a low side R134A schrader cap and went to 2 parts stores yesterday and neither would sell them separate. Wanted to sell me a kit. I ordered a pair at Amazon and supposed to be here tomorrow. The guy lives less than a mile from me. I will run by and spin it on. I told him that as soon as I can figure out where that oil pressure switch is, I will get it installed. Almost forgot. He has some aftermarket cage crap on the taillights. They are for off roading protection. He is 80 years old. He does not off road. I removed the cages. He also has a small bull bar on it and when I do the oil pressure switch, I am gonna remove it. I told him the de-grease is best I can do but still needs a good cleaning. He is gonna take it in to a detail shop and get it all cleaned up. It is covered so bad that if there is any other leaks, I cannot tell where unless it is just pumping out while running and it is not.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seriously underbid things for friends and acquaintances in the past. I don't do that anymore, only work for myself. As a non-daily mechanic I dont have the knowhow or experience to know how much of a pain in the ass things are.

I remember about 8 years ago my friend's sister needed some oxygen sensors replaced on her Ford Mustang. I told her I'd do it, all she had to do was to buy the oxygen sensors and the oxygen sensor removal tool kit from Harbor Freight, and let me keep that. What's that a $30 or $35 purchase? She wouldn't do it! So **** that shit. Apparently she found some simp would would do it for even cheaper than the cost of the $30-$35 oxygen sensor socket set.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The people in the neighborhood get charged $75 an hour and my VFW and American Legion people get charged $0 to $75 an hour. I also look up the parts. They install what I recommend or I will not do it. I charge for diagnostics and every bit of this info is DICTATED up front and they can say yes or no. I learned a long time ago that doing favors can bite you in the ass. Will I help someone, sure, but they will know I do not do this stuff for free. Any info I supply and look up at the computer, is free but the minute I unlock my tool box, the timer starts.

Afterall, no one else paid for these tools and certainly didn't do the work to gain the knowledge.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 95 mustang is OBD1 and in the tuning I have it raise idle 50rpm when the AC cycles (AC switch rpm parameter). I'm not sure exactly how the 33 does it with the carb. There's probably a small solenoid on the idle linkage that engages when the AC does.

Wow. +50 RPM is all?! Nice. I thought they needed a couple hundred. Never paid attention, though. Also never knew there was such a feature for carb'ed engines. Shows what I know about carbs and why I said what I said.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wow. +50 RPM is all?! Nice. I thought they needed a couple hundred. Never paid attention, though. Also never knew there was such a feature for carb'ed engines. Shows what I know about carbs and why I said what I said.
If I remember correctly, there was a idle up or fast idle solenoid that had a way of knowing when a load was put on the engine and would automatically bump the idle up with a load on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076