Tell me why I need a Tech 2.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah m waiting for someone to throw up a link to a reputable US based seller and I’m in.
right now there isn't any but chinacardiags is legit they ship fairly quickly normally you should have it in your hands in about 2 weeks. or wait and keep checking ebay for usa inventory they come and go.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah m waiting for someone to throw up a link to a reputable US based seller and I’m in.

When looking to buy one of these, make sure they come with the 33.004 software and all the accessory cables and cables and such. The factory case may or may not be included so decide whether or not you want it.

As for sellers, I looked for ones with lots of good feedback. At the time, I purchased mine through AliExpress but ChinaCarDiags has been good as have the reputable ebay sellers that have sold them from time to time. These have not been made in the USA for decades. The factory(s) in China kept making them after GM switched over to the MDI and that's why they come from the Chicoms.

Why do you need it? Because you cannot successfully, quickly and accurately work on these trucks without one. They were made to be serviced with this tool along with the service manual which was written to use this tool in diagnosis and repair.

There are alternatives, such as the MDI or MDI2 using the GDS or GDS2 software on a laptop or a Snap-On or Bosch bi-directional scan tool, those work too. I do not consider them handy for use in the truck while driving.

The included software is obsolete but I find it useful for replaying a recording taken from the Tech-2, the small screen limits what you can see at once on playback.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but would we need the tis2000 software along with the handheld Tech 2? I'm not sure if the Tech 2 needs PC support.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but would we need the tis2000 software along with the handheld Tech 2? I'm not sure if the Tech 2 needs PC support.

Like I wrote above, the software is obsolete and not necessary unless you want to program modules on other older platforms. The only time you connect the Tech-2 to the internet is when you are programming modules. For that you need a subscription to ACDelco's TDS system and an adapter to connect to a USB port. You do not need this for diagnosis and testing. It was three years before I signed up with ACDelco to do some programming but used the Tech-2 almost every day in the interim.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tech2 will work with a serial adapter and windows 10 thru tdsweb if you need to do programming, it loads a java program online thru your web browser

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only catch that I know with the ChinaClone versions is -SOMETIMES- they dont actually make it into the US. USBC (US Border and Customs) has been stopping some from making it in. A few members on GMTNation had this issue.

That being said, I just bought my Tech2 a few weeks ago. Have already used it to diagnose what specifically is wrong with my Z55, and my chime. Paid 280 for it, already saved me $120 diag fee at my local dealer.

I know I will need it eventually for my Wifes Aztek, as they seem to eat BCM's. So I know I will eventually come out very ahead.

I still have a cheaper TOPDON Elite model, for MIL, ABS, and SRS codes. But for anything more than "resetting the light" I will break out the Tech2.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fought buying a Tech2 for a long time and finally gave in after reading how handy they are mostly due to @swathdiver (thanks James). I am sure glad I did. It makes diagnosing these vehicles so much easier it’s ridiculous. I also maintain alldatadiy subscriptions for both my trucks which is the same as having service manuals. It’s really the best way to work on these rigs. I have also programmed a few modules - my BCM and driver door switch modules and a HVAC module. Without a Tech2 all of those would have been trips to the dealer. I also used the Tech2 to diagnose an ABS issue as well as an SRS issue which are systems thst are inaccessible to other diagnostic tools. It’s paid for itself many times over.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fought buying a Tech2 for a long time and finally gave in after reading how handy they are mostly due to @swathdiver (thanks James). I am sure glad I did. It makes diagnosing these vehicles so much easier it’s ridiculous. I also maintain alldatadiy subscriptions for both my trucks which is the same as having service manuals. It’s really the best way to work on these rigs. I have also programmed a few modules - my BCM and driver door switch modules and a HVAC module. Without a Tech2 all of those would have been trips to the dealer. I also used the Tech2 to diagnose an ABS issue as well as an SRS issue which are systems thst are inaccessible to other diagnostic tools. It’s paid for itself many times over.

X2 on assistance and mentoring from @swathdiver ! A second thank you, James.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n