Tell me why I need a Tech 2.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldmopars

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading and see posts about the Tech 2.
Please help me understand why I need one. I have a 2008 2500 Suburban with 6.0L.
It has no air ride, no stability control, etc.
What will it do for me that a regular OBDII won’t do?
Please understand I know very little about them, so this is a honest question.
BTW, I am a certified mechanic, but have been out of the game since I joined the military in 1993.(late start)
After that it was aircraft wrenching and heavy equipment. Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a better troubleshooting tool, it has direct communication with the vehicle bcm and sub modules that a off the shelf scanner does not. So it can save you time and a trip to the dealer and each time it does you get to keep a $100+ bucks in your wallet, yes it has a initial cost but it will eventually pay for it's self and when you move on to another vehicle you can get most of your money back out of it by selling it to someone else. you could also potentially use it to make a little side money if the opportunity arose by helping out a acquaintance, neighbor, etc.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only does the Tech 2 read trouble codes, it also helps you diagnose the root cause of the issue, so that you can make an informed decision on whether to fix it yourself or have someone perform the work. Also, the Tech 2 can monitor your systems' actions in real time for many functions, which further assists you in diagnosing issues.

The Tech 2 also programs various modules in your truck that need to be programmed into your truck's system, when replaced. For example, I received a trouble code that the Tech 2 told me was directly related to my BCM (Body Control Module), I researched the information that the Tech 2 gave me, and I determined that my BCM needed to be replaced. I purchased a BCM from Rock Auto for $85 (which would have been more than double the cost at the dealer), and I used the Tech 2 to program it into my truck's system (which would have been well over $100 at the dealer). In addition, I saved $80+ for the 'diagnosis', which the dealer would have charged me, just to look at the issue on my truck.

Since I payed ~$330 for my Tech 2, this one BCM issue resolution using the Tech 2 more than paid for its cost.

Since you were/are a certified mechanic, I believe that the purchase of a Tech 2 should be a no-brainer for you.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread as I'm also looking for one as well. I didn't need it much with my 02 GMT 360 but the 2012 Yukon is a different story. Not trying to hijack, but hopefully help the OP and others who are looking to purchase one.

Are there any limitations with the clones for 2008+ years in regards to programming? It seems there's a handful of vehicles that fall into this category but I don't see the GMT900's in that.....which is good.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread as I'm also looking for one as well. I didn't need it much with my 02 GMT 360 but the 2012 Yukon is a different story. Not trying to hijack, but hopefully help the OP and others who are looking to purchase one.

Are there any limitations with the clones for 2008+ years in regards to programming? It seems there's a handful of vehicles that fall into this category but I don't see the GMT900's in that.....which is good.

I am not aware of any limitations on the clones that would have been available on the original GM Tech 2's.

Adding @swathdiver for his thoughts and perspectives on your question.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really they started moving a few vehicles over to GDS2 around 2013/2014 if you google there is list that shows what works with the tech2 and what requires gds2 and generally it is mostly 2014 and later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J2PDeweese