Tell me why I need a Tech 2.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a tech2 as well, came from obd2eshop.com. Came out to $347 shipped. Was a bit expensive but it was the cheapest option I could find, AND I had it in less than a week. Ordered it last Sunday night, it shipped out Tuesday, and DHL said they would deliver it the following Tuesday, a week time frame. I thought that’s fair. Not too long on shipping. It showed up three days later, last Friday! I’ve tested it out. I’m confused on the TIS2000 software as well. It wouldn’t download to my laptop. Also, what does the CANDi module do?

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only catch that I know with the ChinaClone versions is -SOMETIMES- they dont actually make it into the US. USBC (US Border and Customs) has been stopping some from making it in. A few members on GMTNation had this issue.

That being said, I just bought my Tech2 a few weeks ago. Have already used it to diagnose what specifically is wrong with my Z55, and my chime. Paid 280 for it, already saved me $120 diag fee at my local dealer.

I know I will need it eventually for my Wifes Aztek, as they seem to eat BCM's. So I know I will eventually come out very ahead.

I still have a cheaper TOPDON Elite model, for MIL, ABS, and SRS codes. But for anything more than "resetting the light" I will break out the Tech2.
I swear to god if it gets lost I’m gonna find you….

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I just bought a tech2 as well, came from obd2eshop.com. Came out to $347 shipped. Was a bit expensive but it was the cheapest option I could find, AND I had it in less than a week. Ordered it last Sunday night, it shipped out Tuesday, and DHL said they would deliver it the following Tuesday, a week time frame. I thought that’s fair. Not too long on shipping. It showed up three days later, last Friday! I’ve tested it out. I’m confused on the TIS2000 software as well. It wouldn’t download to my laptop. Also, what does the CANDi module do?

The TIS2000 software is good for programming modules in most 2007 and older vehicles as it has the software updates on the cd. For 2008 and up you need to subscribe to TDS.

The CANDI module is for use in any of the GM Vehicles that use a CanBus system. As an example the GMT900 platform (2007-2014 Tahoes/Suburbans/Escalades) requires the use of the CANDI module, while GMT800 platform (2000-2006 T/S/E) does NOT require the CANDI module.

You can leave the CANDI module plugged into the Tech2 and, if the vehicle doesn't require it, it will just act as a pass through.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TIS2000 software is good for programming modules in most 2007 and older vehicles as it has the software updates on the cd. For 2008 and up you need to subscribe to TDS.

The CANDI module is for use in any of the GM Vehicles that use a CanBus system. As an example the GMT900 platform (2007-2014 Tahoes/Suburbans/Escalades) requires the use of the CANDI module, while GMT800 platform (2000-2006 T/S/E) does NOT require the CANDI module.

You can leave the CANDI module plugged into the Tech2 and, if the vehicle doesn't require it, it will just act as a pass through.
thanks for the response!
Lol I can’t even figure out how to connect it to the tech2.... :confused:
so can I connect the tech2 without the CANDi module?
i will try and get the TIS2000 software sorted out in case I need to program any modules down the road. Haven’t needed to yet but ya never know! gonna hold onto the CANDi module because probably gonna end up with a GMT900 in the next yearish so I’m gonna need it. Lol

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
thanks for the response!
i will try and get the TIS2000 software sorted out in case I need to program any modules down the road. Haven’t needed to yet but ya never know! gonna hold onto the CANDi module because probably gonna end up with a GMT900 in the next yearish so I’m gonna need it. Lol
I don’t think tis2000 will run on win10. I had to install a virtual pc on my laptop to get it to work.
Lots of info in this thread. I struggled through the tis2000 stuff starting on post 446.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tech-2-purchase.111719/page-47

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the response!

I don’t think tis2000 will run on win10. I had to install a virtual pc on my laptop to get it to work.
Lots of info in this thread. I struggled through the tis2000 stuff starting on post 446.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tech-2-purchase.111719/page-47

I went to a lot of trouble getting Tis2000 to work, it only runs in XP not Win8 or 10 so you have to run in compatibility mode. Then I found out it’s easier to use the online version for programming so I don’t use Tis2000. Your truck doesn’t need the CanDi module, it’s for the CANBUS systems so yeah hold onto it along with all those other adapters you don’t need.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I went to a lot of trouble getting Tis2000 to work, it only runs in XP not Win8 or 10 so you have to run in compatibility mode. Then I found out it’s easier to use the online version for programming so I don’t use Tis2000. Your truck doesn’t need the CanDi module, it’s for the CANBUS systems so yeah hold onto it along with all those other adapters you don’t need.
I must have missed that online program. Refresh my memory.