Tech 2 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, got it working.

Two of the pins on the RS232 connector (looks like RS232 anyway), going into the handheld portion of the unit were bent. The connector obviously had enough pins to provide power and some sense lines to the CANdi module to make it happy (flashing green light), but the bent (actually smashed after the connector was screwed together) were needed for successful communications.

The connector used is a cheapie (the pins are very soft). The good news is the soft pins allowed me to straighten both smashed ones with small forceps and not break them off. The bad news is this thing is never going to be disconnected again because they are not stiff enough to be sure they won't snag again in the future and bend/smash again. I suspect that cycle will not be very forgiving if it happened. That's OK, I will just keep the big cardboard box it came in as my case. :)
Harbor freight sells a smallish zippered canvas carry bag with pockets that fits the Tech2 with Candi module connected and all the accessories, it’s only about $10 iirc.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question.

Anyone having the documents CD, can you tell me what is on it?

I found the Tech 2 User Manual online, but while a few tidbits about where to pull external power to the unit, doesn't contain a great deal of information about actually using it for diagnosis, mainly for just operation of the unit itself.

If the Documents CD has information on debug procedures and how to navigate the pages for those activities, then I will stay on the seller about getting a replacement, but if it is just the user manual and some docs about bypass operations, etc., I can probably live without it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question.

Anyone having the documents CD, can you tell me what is on it?

I found the Tech 2 User Manual online, but while a few tidbits about where to pull external power to the unit, doesn't contain a great deal of information about actually using it for diagnosis, mainly for just operation of the unit itself.

If the Documents CD has information on debug procedures and how to navigate the pages for those activities, then I will stay on the seller about getting a replacement, but if it is just the user manual and some docs about bypass operations, etc., I can probably live without it.
There’s nothing for how to use it for diagnosis. Not on that disc and not online that I’ve found. Pretty sure I’ve never used that disc, I think it’s just the regular user manual on how to set it up and stuff.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAP73- I am running a Linux laptop with wine, and all I had to do was load the Driver and it was Plug N Play.Your apple should be similar.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing for how to use it for diagnosis. Not on that disc and not online that I’ve found. Pretty sure I’ve never used that disc, I think it’s just the regular user manual on how to set it up and stuff.

I found a site that had a bunch of GM training videos on Tech 2 use for different diagnostic procedures, but didn’t bookmark it and now I can’t find it.

I will keep looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn