Tech 2 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can also save a few bucks and pick up a vxdiag it does most of the same functions as a tech2, they run about $135, it's been an experience getting the software to work but it functions as a tech2 ok. I almost have it doing gds2 also I can get the gds2 software to run in a virtual machine but it wont detect the device, the ebay seller has been pretty helpful so far were still working on it.

View attachment 234942 View attachment 234943

What’s the downside to this as opposed to the tech2 ?

What can’t it do that the tech2 can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the downside to this as opposed to the tech2 ?

What can’t it do that the tech2 can?

i'm not sure exactly but I think it's very little difference if anything it was just something I read and there were no specifics given

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure exactly but I think it's very little difference if anything it was just something I read and there were no specifics given

It needs a windows laptop correct.

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tablet or laptop would be the best option, it can run a pc also but wouldn't be very convenient

The tech 2 is a better option for me then. I have a MacBook. I’d have to buy a separate windows laptop or tablet.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be posting on a necro thread, but it seemed the right place for this question.

I got my Tech 2 today, like everyone else, weeks ahead of when they said it would be here, when I bought it.

Everything seems to be here, although the docs disc is kaput, looks like somebody spilled a corrosive solvent on the read side of the CD, so for now, no written manuals. The TIS200 stuff read and loaded fine.

My first real glitch is my Tech 2 doesn’t recognize my Candi module. The modules LED flashes green and all the connectors appear solid, but I keep getting a message that there is no Candi module found.

Anyone see this before, if you have a fix, I would be very appreciative.

I have to contact the seller for a fresh docs CD, so will also ask him.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Best way to do it, posting to these old threads avoids duplication of info.

Mine is new in box from China diags and I have yet to break it out of the box yet. I’ll have to get into it soon to verify it’s all intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sorry to be posting on a necro thread, but it seemed the right place for this question.

I got my Tech 2 today, like everyone else, weeks ahead of when they said it would be here, when I bought it.

Everything seems to be here, although the docs disc is kaput, looks like somebody spilled a corrosive solvent on the read side of the CD, so for now, no written manuals. The TIS200 stuff read and loaded fine.

My first real glitch is my Tech 2 doesn’t recognize my Candi module. The modules LED flashes green and all the connectors appear solid, but I keep getting a message that there is no Candi module found.

Anyone see this before, if you have a fix, I would be very appreciative.

I have to contact the seller for a fresh docs CD, so will also ask him.
Mine does that too. I suspect a flakey connection in one of the plugs. I just power it off disconnect and reconnect the plugs. Usually by the second or third try it will connect. Also, take a close look at the plugs for plastic mold flashing that gets in the little holes. I had some of that too.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that too. I suspect a flakey connection in one of the plugs. I just power it off disconnect and reconnect the plugs. Usually by the second or third try it will connect. Also, take a close look at the plugs for plastic mold flashing that gets in the little holes. I had some of that too.

Thanks, I will give it a try. There are a number of fixes when I google it, a few bordering on shamanism to get it to work, all seem to have common ground with the connectors being cycled and power off/on sequences. ;)

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, got it working.

Two of the pins on the RS232 connector (looks like RS232 anyway), going into the handheld portion of the unit were bent. The connector obviously had enough pins to provide power and some sense lines to the CANdi module to make it happy (flashing green light), but the bent (actually smashed after the connector was screwed together) were needed for successful communications.

The connector used is a cheapie (the pins are very soft). The good news is the soft pins allowed me to straighten both smashed ones with small forceps and not break them off. The bad news is this thing is never going to be disconnected again because they are not stiff enough to be sure they won't snag again in the future and bend/smash again. I suspect that cycle will not be very forgiving if it happened. That's OK, I will just keep the big cardboard box it came in as my case. :)