Tech 2 scanner vs Autel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erock7625

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Yukon XL, I keep seeing people recommending getting a Tech 2 scanner but if I already have an Autel bi-directional scanner can it do everything the Tech 2 can? Or are there specific functions that only the Tech 2 can do? If so what’s the best cheap source for them, I know there are many knock-off ones and you have to order them with specific programming.

thanks!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Yukon XL, I keep seeing people recommending getting a Tech 2 scanner but if I already have an Autel bi-directional scanner can it do everything the Tech 2 can? Or are there specific functions that only the Tech 2 can do? If so what’s the best cheap source for them, I know there are many knock-off ones and you have to order them with specific programming.

thanks!
What model do you have? I'm thinking of getting one too.

AFAIK, the GM Tech2 and MDI scanners are the only ones that can do firmware updates to the various systems through tis2web, but that's a minor feature as far as I'm concerned.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your Autel will do, but I think it will depend on what you want it to do. I have an older Genysis scan tool that will cycle the ABS pump for bleeding. It won't do everything the Tech 2 will, but when I got it was a good price (used). I also wanted something that I could use on our Ford Explorer, so this was the best compromise.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
I have the MaxiDAS DS808K. Buying any OBD scanner is confusing as hell as there are multiple sellers for Autel and they all use their own model number variants. I’m looking at getting another Launch has a number of good ones but again trying to do a comparison is very frustrating as there are multiple sellers.

Bi-directional scanners have come down as their is more competition now. Topdon is also a decent brand, I have their AD800BT which is a mid level non bi-directional scanner. Currently I’m looking at the following trying to pick one:

Autel MaxiCOM MK808BT Pro - $519
Topdon Artidiag Pro - $478 w/$100 coupon
Topdon AD900BT - $599 w/$70 coupon
Topdon Phoenix Plus - $920
Launch CRP919X - $465 w/$26 coupon
Launch CRP919XBT - $454
Launch X431 PROS V+ Elite - $829 w/$50 coupon
Launch X431 PROS V+ - $849 w/$70 coupon

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

thanks!
I've attached a Pathing diagram for the Tech 2, to show its capabilities. You may want to check this against your Autel.

Attachments

• GM_Tech2_Paths.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score
I don't know what your Autel will do, but I think it will depend on what you want it to do. I have an older Genysis scan tool that will cycle the ABS pump for bleeding. It won't do everything the Tech 2 will, but when I got it was a good price (used). I also wanted something that I could use on our Ford Explorer, so this was the best compromise.

It really varies by vehicle, almost all of them will do ABS functions. On my Cadillac I could do thing with the trans like cycle gears and disabling torque converter lockup. Here’s a list from one of the models I’m looking at (Launch):

——2024 Welcomes 5 Additional Service Functions: 1.E.GR Adaptation 2.High Voltage Battery Detection 3.CCS (Cruise Control System) Calibration

4.G.PF (Gas Particular Filter) Regeneration 5.Cylinder Power Balance Test: This invaluable test uncovers concealed engine issues related to misfires, power loss, or suboptimal engine performance. It's a diagnostic treasure, often utilized in conjunction with cylinder compression and leakage tests to pinpoint precise problems.

——Over 31 Service Functions and a Constant Growth through Updates:

6.Oil Maintenance Reset: Reset Engine Oil Life calculation upon oil change, extinguishing oil-related alerts. 7.Injector Coding: Code new injectors for precise fuel injection control. 8.EPB (Electronic Park Brake) Reset: Re-calibrate electronic parking brake post-repair. 9.ABS Bleeding: Restore ABS braking sensitivity and firm brake pedal by bleeding the brake system. 10.SAS Calibration: Clear fault steering angle sensor memories, reset the sensor, and eliminate steering wheel warning lights. 11.Throttle Relearn: Reset throttle for accurate idling and smooth acceleration. 12.BMS Reset: Clear low battery fault data post-battery replacement, safeguarding the new battery. 13.D.PF Regeneration: Stabilize diesel filter performance by clearing particles via oxidation or combustion. 14.Key Programming: Disable lost vehicle keys, prevent theft, and add new keys. 15.Airbag Repair: Reset Airbag data and collision data post-Airbag replacement. 16.TPMS Reset 17.Air/Fuel Reset 18.AdBlue Reset 19.AFS (Adaptive Front-Lighting System) Reset 20.NOX Sensor Reset 21.Tire Reset 22.Stop/Start Reset 23.Delete Transport Mode 24.Air Level Calibration 25.Windows Calibration 26.CCS (Cruise Control System) Calibration 27.Seat Occupancy Calibration 28.Sunroof Initialization 29.AC Initialization 30.Carkshaft Position Sensor Adaptive Relearn 31.Gearbox Matching 32.Power Balance 33.Coolant Bleeding 34.E.GR Adaptation 35.G.PF Regeneration 36.High Voltage Battery Detection 37.Launage Change 38.FRM Reset 39.Fuel Alcohol Content Reset (Fuel Alcohol Composition Reset)40.Fuel Trim Reset 41.Fuel Economy Test 42.EVAP Test 43.BSI Solenoid Test 44.Seat Standardization 45.A/T Code Reset 46.Injector Fuel Rate Programming 47.Fuel Injector Balance 48.Electronic Pump Activation 49.VIN Registration (Write) 50.Camshaft/Crankshaft Sensor Relearn 51.Gear Learning 52.Reset Control Unit 53.Cylinder Compression Test 54.Cylinder Leakage Test 55.TEC Learn… and continuous expansion through updates.

——Unlock 100+ MORE Services in "Diagnostic" Menu for Specific Models:

Delve into 100+ advanced service functions for specific vehicle models via "1.Diagnose" > "2.Car Model" > "3.System" > 4."Special Function". LAUNCH X431 CRP919X's expansive automotive diagnostic scan tool effortlessly grants access to specialized functions such as Zero-Point Calibration, HVAC Calibration, Seat Calibration, Suspension Calibration; Idle Relearn, VGT Relearn, VIN Relearn, Transmission Quick Learn, Relearn Vehicle Data; SWS Initialization, ABS Initialization, Rain Sensor Initialization, Front Wiper Initialization; Clutch Adaptation, Transmission Adaptation, Fuel Injector Adaptation; Turbocharging, Hybrid Control Compression Test, and more.

OP
OP
E

Erock7625

Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thanks!
probably the biggest difference is being able to program modules, you can do a lot of troubleshooting with tech2 it's the dealer tool
chinacardiags still sells them you just have to message them, otherwise they run about $400 on ebay for a clone

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar