Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I know I use 2 for my 2012 and that's the 5th or 9th digit of my VIN.

I had the same question after getting my Tech2 and I found that it could be the 4th, 5th, or 9th digit of the VIN, depending on make/model

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I use 2 for my 2012 and that's the 5th or 9th digit of my VIN.

I had the same question after getting my Tech2 and I found that it could be the 4th, 5th, or 9th digit of the VIN, depending on make/model

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

My 9th is 'X'

There's no 'D' or 'K' anywhere in my VIN... the search continues

Reaction score
I believe the engine code fir the 6.2l is K, so I'd try that.

I have the same engine, but use 2 instead of K, even though K is an option in the menu.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New issue, I was able to pull the codes with the Tech 2, however I tried to add a FOB and I'm getting an error message. I found the procedure and went through the menu to add the 2nd FOB for my truck, and when I try to "Invalidate all Fobs" it gives me the error "Device Control Not Allowed". Did a search on here and through google and didn't find much information. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
New issue, I was able to pull the codes with the Tech 2, however I tried to add a FOB and I'm getting an error message. I found the procedure and went through the menu to add the 2nd FOB for my truck, and when I try to "Invalidate all Fobs" it gives me the error "Device Control Not Allowed". Did a search on here and through google and didn't find much information. Any suggestions?
I've never tried programming any key fobs yet with mine so I can't help you, but maybe @swathdiver or @Doubeleive might know what's going on and chime in here

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't ran into that particular error before but sounds like maybe you are not using the right vehicle or there is something else interfering with the procedure like maybe the key has to be out or in the run position or even engine running, doors or hood not open, could be something of that nature, might even be something that has to be done via TDS, it's $40 for 2years of programming per vin number and you can use it as many times as you want and they have tech support.

Reaction score
I would also check to make sure you don't have the option of "Remote Relearn" (or something like that) through the DIC. I know they say that 2010 was the last year this was available to do through the DIC, but I swear I had that option on my 2011 Denali

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check to make sure you don't have the option of "Remote Relearn" (or something like that) through the DIC. I know they say that 2010 was the last year this was available to do through the DIC, but I swear I had that option on my 2011 Denali

I can confirm I don't have that option through the DIC, I've tried that procedure and it never worked.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm I don't have that option through the DIC, I've tried that procedure and it never worked.

Joe, your 5-6 numbers should be 4D in your VIN for a 2011 AWD Escalade Platinum. Your 9th is a check digit, it'll never be that.

In my 2009, I select for the 5th digit, K in my case. If I mistakenly select C, I can see and do most things but not everything. The 5th digit denotes drive type, 2-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive. The other number for 2011 Cadillac's is 3 for the RWD models. The 6th digit is your trim level. I doubt the Tech-2 is looking for that but am no expert and every menu is slightly different depending on the year.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured out the FOB thing, when I selected 4 instead of 3 for the product code I was able to reprogram the FOB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne