TCM died. Can't program the new one with tech 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahunn

Reaction score
So I was driving and suddenly the tahoe bogs down. Stopped shifting and I noticed I had to rev it higher to get it to move. I got nervous of course and pulled over to the side of the road. I noticed that I could no longer tell that I was in drive nor any other gear on the prndl. I decided to check the transmission temp and nothing was showing there either.

When I made it home I connected my tech 2 and found that the tcm wasn't communicating. Apparently they can die just like that without any warning..?

I bought a new tcm module from the dealership for 101$. Tried to program the new one with the tech 2 but it fails at 80% when installing the calibrations. I can't figure out what the heck is wrong. I've never had issues programming before. Anyone have any idea what could cause it not to work?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was driving and suddenly the tahoe bogs down. Stopped shifting and I had to rev it higher to get it to move. I noticed that I could no longer tell that I was in drive nor any other gear on the prndl.
I connected my tech 2 when I could and found that the tcm wasn't communicating. Apparently they can die just like that without any warning.

I bought a new tcm module from the dealership for 101$. Tried to program the new one with the tech 2 but it fails at 80% when installing the calibrations. I can't figure out what the heck is wrong.
I've never had issues programming before. Anyone have any idea what could cause it not to work?
poor connection, low voltage or both
I would suggest disassembling all connections on the tech2 (blow them all out with air) and reconnect tight and snug
blow air in the obd port as well
have the vehicle on a battery charger while programming
plug the tech2 into 12dc (wall outlet) this should be plugged in on the bottom of the tech2 not on the cable anywhere rather than powered via the vehicle.
then check the transmission harness disconnect and reconnect be sure it's clean as well
then try again.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have started by verifying that the TCM is getting reference signal, and is powered.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was driving and suddenly the tahoe bogs down. Stopped shifting and I noticed I had to rev it higher to get it to move. I got nervous of course and pulled over to the side of the road. I noticed that I could no longer tell that I was in drive nor any other gear on the prndl. I decided to check the transmission temp and nothing was showing there either.

When I made it home I connected my tech 2 and found that the tcm wasn't communicating. Apparently they can die just like that without any warning..?

I bought a new tcm module from the dealership for 101$. Tried to program the new one with the tech 2 but it fails at 80% when installing the calibrations. I can't figure out what the heck is wrong. I've never had issues programming before. Anyone have any idea what could cause it not to work?
I think the new way of programming is only by using the Tech-2 as a pass-thru device.

@Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. the Tech 2 can only be used as a pass-thru device when programming through Techline Connect.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
Sorry for getting back to you guys so late. Work got busy and I'm just now able to get online and read all of the responses.

Since i couldnt program the tcm I tried to program the driver door module just to see if it worked, and, I had an updated calibration, but it failed. I decided to go to the dealership to get it programmed. They were all days or more out for getting me in to program it and I need to work. Eventually I found a place.
There is a shop pretty much right across the street from me called Flashmasters in Cincinnati, ohio that had a tcm, and programmed it for 79$ same day. 86$ total out the door. Their focus is on all gm engine computers, some Ford also. They have a website in case anyone is interested. Anywho I thought that was a great deal and I'm now back in business.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
poor connection, low voltage or both
I would suggest disassembling all connections on the tech2 (blow them all out with air) and reconnect tight and snug
blow air in the obd port as well
have the vehicle on a battery charger while programming
plug the tech2 into 12dc (wall outlet) this should be plugged in on the bottom of the tech2 not on the cable anywhere rather than powered via the vehicle.
then check the transmission harness disconnect and reconnect be sure it's clean as well
then try again.
I had checked the harness and blew out the connector and obd port. It was actually really clean already. My voltage was good 15v, and I had the cigarette lighter connector plugged up to the tech 2. It was plugged in at the connector before the candi module.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
Yes. the Tech 2 can only be used as a pass-thru device when programming through Techline Connect.
Can you explain how this works? I actually spent the 40$ to get the tech line subscription but couldn't get the tech2 to work with it. The program kept asking me for a mdi or mdi2, or the j2534 devices which I am unfamiliar with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n