2020 transmission died with lots of noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwood443

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have owned this 2020 Yukon with 73k for 67 days and put maybe 2800 miles on it(drove to florida from ohio and back) last thursday I felt a transmission slip just as I was hopping on the highway. Once at speed a couple rough shifts and shudders. I move to the berm with flashers on maybe 10 mph and limp 2 miles to the next exit. once off heard a terrible grinding that sounded like the transmission was going to disintegrate. Then won't move at all in any gear. This is the 6 speed automatic. Had it towed to the local dealer and they in the process of replacing once the big shots approve :)

Is this a one off event or is this a common issue? I'm worried about something else related to the drive train broken?

I'd just assume return to the dealer for my money back

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned this 2020 Yukon with 73k for 67 days and put maybe 2800 miles on it(drove to florida from ohio and back) last thursday I felt a transmission slip just as I was hopping on the highway. Once at speed a couple rough shifts and shudders. I move to the berm with flashers on maybe 10 mph and limp 2 miles to the next exit. once off heard a terrible grinding that sounded like the transmission was going to disintegrate. Then won't move at all in any gear. This is the 6 speed automatic. Had it towed to the local dealer and they in the process of replacing once the big shots approve :)

Is this a one off event or is this a common issue? I'm worried about something else related to the drive train broken?

There is no 2020 with the 6 speed automatic, at least that I'm aware of. I believe from 2018 on ALL of them are the 10-speed.

My transmission in my 2019 Escalade ESV is getting replaced; transmission is on order.

Are you sure it's the transmission that failed? Was it diagnosed and confirmed?

OP
OP
D

dwood443

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the Monroney label shows the 6-speed electronically controlled transmission. and yes, two dealers diagnosed the tranny needs replaced. I purchased a extended warranty but cause the car so new to me they would not cover at the GMC dealer I took it too. had to take back to the chevy dealer I purchased from and that dealer is paying the cost.

Last edited:

42ezra

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is no 2020 with the 6 speed automatic, at least that I'm aware of. I believe from 2018 on ALL of them are the 10-speed.

My transmission in my 2019 Escalade ESV is getting replaced; transmission is on order.

My 2020 Z71 has a 6spd transmission (5.3L)

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

6.2L Escalade and Yukon Denali trims have the 10-speed from 2018-2020 MY.
6.2L Escalade and Yukon Denali trims have the 8-speed from 2015.5-2017 MY.
All K2XX 2015-2020 5.3L models have the 6-speed.

the Monroney label shows the 6-speed electronically controlled transmission. and yes, two dealers diagnosed the tranny needs replaced. I purchased a extended warranty but cause the car so new to me they would not cover at the GMC dealer I took it too. had to take back to the chevy dealer I purchased from and that dealer is paying the cost.

That's interesting about the aftermarket extended warranty and having to take it back to the dealership you originally purchased from? So the original selling dealer is covering the repair and not the extended warranty you purchased? Did that dealer offer some sort of a 90-day/3,000 mile warranty or something that it fell under?

Regardless, I would contact the dealer doing the repair and replacement and ask them what was the root cause of the transmission failure. If they mention the torque converter I would make sure they are including a new GM OEM torque converter in the repair. The torque converters are the weak link in 6 speeds and when they fail and break down they send metal through the transmission and end up taking it out. Unfortunately a new GM OEM torque converter doesn't necessarily solve this problem, as it's still the same torque converter part number and design, it's just new.

If you're really wanting to fix the weak link and ensure this new 6 speed transmission lasts longer I would ask the dealership doing the repair if they would install a customer provided torque converter. There are various manufacturers that offer billet torque converters with the same or similar stall speed to GM OEM that are far more robust, last longer, and are a superior design compared to the GM OEM units (there are a ton of threads on here with 6l80e/6l90e torque converter recommendations). This route may prove to be more difficult with an aftermarket extended warranty company involved but may not if the dealership is coming out of pocket for the parts and labor?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's lots of weak links in these units. My 6L80 Info thread (link in my signature) breaks them all down plus all parts/procedures for overhaul.

Sounds like your front planetary carrier set (planet, sun gear, ring gear) failed, broke apart.

Yep, there is - both 6L80s and 90s were installed (I believe the 6L90 persisted until 2022 or 2023 MYs).

OP
OP
D

dwood443

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
6.2L Escalade and Yukon Denali trims have the 10-speed from 2018-2020 MY.
6.2L Escalade and Yukon Denali trims have the 8-speed from 2015.5-2017 MY.
All K2XX 2015-2020 5.3L models have the 6-speed.

That's interesting about the aftermarket extended warranty and having to take it back to the dealership you originally purchased from? So the original selling dealer is covering the repair and not the extended warranty you purchased? Did that dealer offer some sort of a 90-day/3,000 mile warranty or something that it fell under?

Regardless, I would contact the dealer doing the repair and replacement and ask them what was the root cause of the transmission failure. If they mention the torque converter I would make sure they are including a new GM OEM torque converter in the repair. The torque converters are the weak link in 6 speeds and when they fail and break down they send metal through the transmission and end up taking it out. Unfortunately a new GM OEM torque converter doesn't necessarily solve this problem, as it's still the same torque converter part number and design, it's just new.

If you're really wanting to fix the weak link and ensure this new 6 speed transmission lasts longer I would ask the dealership doing the repair if they would install a customer provided torque converter. There are various manufacturers that offer billet torque converters with the same or similar stall speed to GM OEM that are far more robust, last longer, and are a superior design compared to the GM OEM units (there are a ton of threads on here with 6l80e/6l90e torque converter recommendations). This route may prove to be more difficult with an aftermarket extended warranty company involved but may not if the dealership is coming out of pocket for the parts and labor?
Lots of good information. When I purchased the vehicle I opted for extended warranty. and when the warranty company pushed back the dealer honored the warranty themselves in good faith. I think they just started working on it and I'll ask about the cause of failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019