Third brake light has no voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe Premier. Third brake light had a crack in it, got water in it and stopped working. I replaced the light, doesn’t work. I check for voltage at the connector while the brake pedal was engaged. Nothing. I checked the connection on the inside of the vehicle in the ceiling. Nothing. There is no fuse labeled for third brake light. Just left and right. I proceeded to test every fuse with a volt meter. Under the hood, drivers side, passenger side and rear locations. Didn’t find any bad ones. Anyone have any insight?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe Premier. Third brake light had a crack in it, got water in it and stopped working. I replaced the light, doesn’t work. I check for voltage at the connector while the brake pedal was engaged. Nothing. I checked the connection on the inside of the vehicle in the ceiling. Nothing. There is no fuse labeled for third brake light. Just left and right. I proceeded to test every fuse with a volt meter. Under the hood, drivers side, passenger side and rear locations. Didn’t find any bad ones. Anyone have any insight?
look on the gm upfitter guide, they have a more detailed explanation of which fuse does what, some fuses power things that are not labeled as such in the owners manual
probably still a fuse.
also if you tested for voltage at the brake light connector after the vehicle has gone into sleep mode it won't have any power. try again with the key on.
on previous models it didn't matter when you pressed the brake pedal on this generation it does, after 2-3 minutes with the key off the brake lights will not come on by pressing the pedal anymore. I found this out testing things myself.

OP
OP
RyanS

RyanS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
look on the gm upfitter guide, they have a more detailed explanation of which fuse does what, some fuses power things that are not labeled as such in the owners manual
probably still a fuse.
also if you tested for voltage at the brake light connector after the vehicle has gone into sleep mode it won't have any power. try again with the key on.
on previous models it didn't matter when you pressed the brake pedal on this generation it does, after 2-3 minutes with the key off the brake lights will not come on by pressing the pedal anymore. I found this out testing things myself.
I had the vehicle on and other brake lights engaged no issue. Where can I find a GM up fitter guide? Never heard of it.

OP
OP
RyanS

RyanS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might want to get a meter out and start probing then, the fuse should have done it's job but if it didn't then there is a melted spot somewhere or a break in the wire.
trace the ground first.

OP
OP
RyanS

RyanS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you might want to get a meter out and start probing then, the fuse should have done it's job but if it didn't then there is a melted spot somewhere or a break in the wire.
trace the ground first.
Not that. Could BCM need to be reprogrammed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter72