Copy PCM to swap in a new one with Tech 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mattbta that's awesome. I use HP Tuners quite a lot. Years ago I built my own adapters for ALDL / OBD1. It was a lot simpler then. I was even working to hack the older ECMs. I wrote a bunch of code to do it. I had no clue about PCM Hammer or Tuner Pro. Really cool stuff. I probably should have sprung for the OBDx. The developer spoke with me yesterday when I reached out via email. I may write them back up and propose a product. I'd like a solution that mounts permanently in the vehicle, provides a OBD port in a different location with USB and Bluetooth / WiFi connectivity to PCM. I carry a cheap Bluetooth dongle but would be nice if that was just built into the dash somewhere.

I also have a fully embedded systems development bench I put together. Bench tested my PCM several times, clusters, etc. I'd LOVE to develop custom circuit boards, etc. I got my masters in computer engineering to do that but Corporate America never used my skillset. I got paid 6 figures to push paperwork so I left and make a small fraction of what I did there. Several years ago I took a short gig to build some oil well testing equipment but didn't go anywhere. I think I have a post on here to build a custom computer to swap out / go where the OnStar sits. Would provide all the modern upgrades like Bluetooth calling, Bluetooth radio connection, place to store music in car, possibly even a movie server, spot you could sync photos when on road trips, GPS vehicle tracking in case it's stolen, etc. etc. etc. I'd also like to build a custom inverter with plugs throughout the vehicle as well as rear bumper hookup say if you're camping. I have these ideas but haven't had the energy or resources to do it as of yet.

I LOVE this forum, this is literally my go to forum. It's awesome. There's SO much knowledge here.

I will post updates with my progress when the dongle comes in.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@mattbta that's awesome. I use HP Tuners quite a lot. Years ago I built my own adapters for ALDL / OBD1. It was a lot simpler then. I was even working to hack the older ECMs. I wrote a bunch of code to do it. I had no clue about PCM Hammer or Tuner Pro. Really cool stuff. I probably should have sprung for the OBDx. The developer spoke with me yesterday when I reached out via email. I may write them back up and propose a product. I'd like a solution that mounts permanently in the vehicle, provides a OBD port in a different location with USB and Bluetooth / WiFi connectivity to PCM. I carry a cheap Bluetooth dongle but would be nice if that was just built into the dash somewhere.

I also have a fully embedded systems development bench I put together. Bench tested my PCM several times, clusters, etc. I'd LOVE to develop custom circuit boards, etc. I got my masters in computer engineering to do that but Corporate America never used my skillset. I got paid 6 figures to push paperwork so I left and make a small fraction of what I did there. Several years ago I took a short gig to build some oil well testing equipment but didn't go anywhere. I think I have a post on here to build a custom computer to swap out / go where the OnStar sits. Would provide all the modern upgrades like Bluetooth calling, Bluetooth radio connection, place to store music in car, possibly even a movie server, spot you could sync photos when on road trips, GPS vehicle tracking in case it's stolen, etc. etc. etc. I'd also like to build a custom inverter with plugs throughout the vehicle as well as rear bumper hookup say if you're camping. I have these ideas but haven't had the energy or resources to do it as of yet.

I LOVE this forum, this is literally my go to forum. It's awesome. There's SO much knowledge here.

I will post updates with my progress when the dongle comes in.
Those are some great ideas you have. Now you just need to figure out how to implement them.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Tonyrodz I started building the Hands Free Calling and Bluetooth connection to stereo. Then life got the best of me :/ I think I have a thread somewhere for it. I'm a real estate broker by day, former consultant in aerospace industry, and really would love to get to what I actually went to school for designing cool circuit boards w/ awesome functionality. Hard to find time to do it though.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mattbta I got the VCX Nano in from VXDIAG. Wondering about returning it, I cannot figure out how to get PCM hammer to connect to it.

The tool came with software but instructions are dismally bad. They don't match any of the folders, no auto installer, etc. etc. etc. I think that aside I got it installed. The VX software loads and detects the scan tool. However, I cannot figure out how to select it in PCM hammer.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you install the "PASSTHRU" component in VCX Manager? This installs the J-2534 driver which PCM Hammer will use.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FML... Okay I finally figured out where the Passthrou was. Yeah it was in the VX manager.

I am testing everything on my 2001 Tahoe (same computer type)...

I connected to PCM with PCM Hammer. Went to tools -> Read Entire PCM and downloaded the PCM to my computer. That seemed to work fine.

Then I went to start the truck. It won't start. It fires over then dies immediately. I tried to read the PCM again and to "Read Properties" those work fine. But I cannot get truck to start :mad:

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading the PCM with PCM Hammer triggered the Theft Deterrent System. It's locking out my fuel. I get trouble code:

0x10: P1626 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received (Current, History)

I don't know how to clear this out... Trying to sign up for a PCM Hacking forum where all the people are talking about PCM Hammer.. Searching their posts and cannot find this issue.

UPDATE: PCM Hammer triggered VATS when I read the PCM. I don't know if it created a conflict between BCM and PCM to do such as I read it in the truck. I searched internet w/ little luck on how to resolve issue other than typical parts darts advice. I decided to use HP Tuners to pull the config and check the VIN number didn't change.... It hadn't. However, HP Tuners reset everything after reading it and truck starts now. Disaster averted. It maybe risky to pull config using PCM hammer with PCM installed in vehicle, in the least this software isn't completely tested.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's wild. Glad you were able to get it sorted.

I haven't encountered that and hope not to. I did one read in vehicle of the 7603 OS and then one on bench after using SPS/Techline Connect to update to 6960 OS without issue. Maybe once Antus approves your account on pcmhacking, you can post. From my understanding, the program loads a custom kernel to the PCM, performs the read or write, then unloads the kernel.

It has been quite solid for P59 PCM's.

What version of PCM Hammer did you use? Recently there was a beta that had a rewritten kernel in a different language that hasn't been fully put through its paces.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they approve my account soon. I'd love to share what happened. I couldn't' find any posts with similar issues.

I used PCM Hammer v21. Tried searching for older versions but wasn't having much luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts