TCM died. Can't program the new one with tech 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you use it as a pass thru device? I had it connected to a windows 7 laptop, with the keyspan USB to serial adapter.

When programming, the Tech-2 is connected on one end to the truck and the other end to a laptop which is connected to ACDelco. In the old days, I would download the program to the Tech-2, disconnect from the laptop and walk over to the car and complete the programming. It is my understanding that this latter option has been done away with.

Can you explain how this works? I actually spent the 40$ to get the tech line subscription but couldn't get the tech2 to work with it. The program kept asking me for a mdi or mdi2, or the j2534 devices which I am unfamiliar with.
Joe can explain it better than I. @Joseph Garcia

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you explain how this works? I actually spent the 40$ to get the tech line subscription but couldn't get the tech2 to work with it. The program kept asking me for a mdi or mdi2, or the j2534 devices which I am unfamiliar with.
The tech2 is a J2534 device, that is how it functions as a pass thru

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia wrote up an excellent guide here:

See if it has what you need to connect.

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia wrote up an excellent guide here:

See if it has what you need to connect.
Thank you. I'll check that out shortly

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll check that out shortly
After reading through his post, I did everything the way he did but it looks like there is a restriction with using a tech2 to program with techline. I'll wait to see if that changes or buy a vcxnano if needed. Thank you for the link to his writeup

OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that after I put the new tcm module in, I was able to program other modules. Is that weird.. Could the tcm from the dealer have been defective and caused me not to be able to program other modules?

Also, I started getting c0561 symptom 71 in the tech 2. The traction control, abs, and stabiltrack lights kept coming on. When this happened, my tahoe would jerk randomly when shifting from 1st to 2nd and that was driving me crazy.
I actually corrected that issue it seems by flashing my ecm with an update as well as the ebcm and then tccm (All of those modules were a few calibrations behind so i figured id go for it). I assume the ebcm getting flashed was the cure?? It's been a full day now since flashing the modules and no more issues with the car jerking (knock on wood)